Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Reinstall Problems - Probably related to incompletely removed virus

• Please log in to reply

MrX3

MrX3

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello,

I was in the Malware forum, being helped very nicely by CatByte. Virus was being removed with ComboFix tool. (After my last step, CatByte recommended I come to the Windows forum for help.)

See last posting here:
http://www.geekstogo...ot-t242573.html

Machine: Dell mini 9 w/XP Home, SSHD 16GB, bought 12/08.

Current State: I reinstalled Windows from the XP vendor disk that came with the machine. Installation seemed to go fine, but now when I reboot I get "This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on. Do you want to activate now?"

I say yes, and it goes to a blank desktop, with only the background screen and sits there, doing nothing. Multiple attempts give the same results.

Suspect I should not have reinstalled windows without finishing the process of removing the viruses completely (doh!).

Is there any way to recover now? Note: nothing really important data wise on the 16GB drive.

Thanks for any help!
X3

Edited by MrX3, 03 July 2009 - 04:14 PM.

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
If your install of windows "is Fresh" then the virus that "may or may not" have been there will not matter.

A fresh install will overwrite the hard drive(HDD)...

At this point your data should be gone on the HDD... with exception to windows...

How much ram is installed in the computer?

Good luck

Cbarnard

MrX3

MrX3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello Cbarnard,

2GB of RAM is installed. I suppose my install would be a 'fresh' install, as I just installed the OS without a reformat. If this is the case, good to know a virus that was, or was not present, should have no effect now.

Any idea how I should proceed? To get the machine to work?

Thanks,
X3

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
A fresh install is when you Reformat the HDD...

This will overwrite all data on the HDD.

If this is not what you did you may want to try that instead...

Hope this works for you...

Good luck

Cbarnard