Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Missing RAM

• Please log in to reply

indusri

indusri

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Windows Xp, AMD Sempron 2400+ with Simtronics 512 DDR RAM
My OS indicates/ Recogonizes only 448 MB , WHY?

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
are you using onboard video or a separate video card?
im guessing your using onboard video, which shares system resources. in this case, your card would currently be set to use 64Mb of ram dedicated to video purposes.
you can adjust the amount of ram dedicated to video in BIOS.

cozmicrain

cozmicrain

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I had this problem once. DDR memory is sometimes fickle. It has a lot to do with actual "type" for instance if you only have 1 512mg stick of ram and your fsb is say 400 and the ram is oh i dunno, pc2700 then its possiable as for some reason unknown to me it won't see all of it. May also cause other problems. That paticular problem has only happened ot me once. Changing out the ram to a pc3200 <think thats right> fixed that problem. could of been bad ram for all i know. I have been told by serveral pc geeks that not all DDR ram is compatabile with all DDR ram boards. Hence the reason for diffrent types of RAM. :tazz:
[ do not hold me to that because I don't have a degree in electronics] just sharing other professional opions

On the other hand.... if you have 2 Ram cards each at 256 but diffrent types most likely your going to have major problems of this sort and more. Not only will it not read it correctly but can cause glitchs when running the system such as random program freezes and things like that.

I would try swapping it out or if running two make sure its the "right" type of ram for your motherboard and cpu and removing one to see if it at least reads the ONE ram card correctly. If so then check to make sure the second RAM card matches in type to the first and then reinstall it. If match and still not working then swap out the RAM.

Hope this helps
Peace

Rain

Additionally always have the largest ram card in your first slot.