Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using my laptop (screen) as an second monitor for my PC?

• Please log in to reply

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Hey everyone,
These boards have been very helpful in the past so here goes:

I have a laptop which I want to use as a second monitor. I have a second vga cable and my graphics card supports 2 monitors.

I have tried synergy and maxivista but what I REALLY want is to just use my laptop as a second monitor without the need for a network connection.

So: I plugged one end of the vga cable in to my laptop and the other in to the second port on my desktop's graphics card. What do I do now? The laptop doesn't seem to want to display my extended monitor instead of my laptop's content.

Cliffs:
Laptop plugged in to my desktop('s graphics card) via VGA.
Don't know what to do next to make it like a second monitor. Not looking for synergy/maxivista.
Desktop is using XP, laptop is using windows 7.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Isn't going to happen. Both of the ports on the laptop are "output" portd NOT input.

Murray