Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Weird error messages

• Please log in to reply

BigMikey

BigMikey

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello. I am using windows xp. For some reason whenever I try to open or run any programs, I am given this prompt.... " Choose the program you want to use to open this file:" Then I am given a lot of options to choose from, many of the options, I am sure are not what I need to open the program. This happens whenever I try and open anything. I just tried opening the 'system' folder in the control panel and the error message stated, " C:\windows\system32\rundl32.exe Application not found." What does this mean?

When I turned on the computer I got this file: "Windows cannot find 'c:\windows\system32\mshmd.exe'

Is is something with registry? The crazy thing is, all of this occured after I purchase " Registry Mechanic". Can u help me?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
Welcome BigMikey to Geeks to Go.

Registry cleaners and optimizers due no good. They can render the computer useless. Now, with that said, what I suggest is for you to restore the registry.
This is what I found

With a few easy steps our registry cleaner will scan your entire registry for any invalid entries and provides a list of the registry errors found, you can then choose to selectively clean each item or automatically repair them all. For your convenience and protection Registry Mechanic can also make a backup of any repairs made so that you can easily recover any changes if required.

There should be a place within the program to allow you to restore a backup.

What you should do first is backup your registry now (as it is) even though corrupted. That way we can get back to at least 1 spot.
Use Erunt (in my signature).

So, step 1 is to install and run Erunt.
Step 2 is to attempt to undo the changes made by Registry Mechanic.

I can not tell you where in the software you will find the backup. There should be something to the effect of "restore registry".
Maybe someone else will be able to point you closer.

123runner

BigMikey

BigMikey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks. I downloaded and tried to install 'erunt', and i got the same "Choose the program you want to use to open this file" prompt..... Hold on, it think i may have found something. I will get back 2 u.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Use System Restore... go to Start -> Run -> msconfig
Then click on Launch System Restore.

Before you do this though, make a backup with ERUNT.

If you can't open .exe files, follow the directions here: http://www.dougknox..../file_assoc.htm
Click on EXE File Association Fix.