Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Using TV as monitor, but sound still through laptop

• Please log in to reply

ShO5iri5

ShO5iri5

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello, I recently joined this site and wanted to thank anyone in advance for any help you can provide.
I'm running a Dell Inspiron Laptop, and have it hooked up thru my television as the monitor, yet the sound continues to come through the laptop.
I was just wondering if there was any way to make the sound come through my television speakers?
Any help is appreciated, thanks alot, have a great weekend.

Edited by ShO5iri5, 04 July 2009 - 10:44 AM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
You need to look in your manual to see what audio output options your notebook supports. Most allow for external speakers. Then you need to look at your TV and see what audio inputs it supports.

ShO5iri5

ShO5iri5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hmm.. okay, I'll look into that, thanks for the quick reply!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
If you can't find your notebook manual, the maker's website should have it for download online. The TV manual should be on line too, or you can just look in the back. If notebook maker's would settle on a standard this would be simple. But since notebooks are so proprietary, every make and model is different. Otherwise, I could give you a straight answer.

Edited by Digerati, 04 July 2009 - 11:16 AM.

ShO5iri5

ShO5iri5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Seems as though I'm out of luck, looks like my Inspiron 6000 can't communicate with it.
Thanks for your relies Digerati, I really appreciate it, sorry it took so long for me to post again, just tried a number of things, all of which failed! =)
Thanks so much, great forum that I plan to continue to use.

Cheers

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
That is not what it says on pages 34-37 of your manual - http://support.dell....om/D5181bk5.pdf

So now it is up to your TV.

ShO5iri5

ShO5iri5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hmm.. god you're good!
I'm gonna try and track down a manual for my tv, just got it used from a relative, seems as though I may just need and S-Video cable I suppose.
I'll look into it further, after I put the kids to bed and will post win or lose.
Thanks Digerati, it's a really selfless act to help someone this much and I really appreciate it.
Hope you are enjoying your weekend.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

Thanks Digerati, it's a really selfless act to help someone this much and I really appreciate it.

I don't know about that - it makes me feel good when I can help. :) Of course the occasional thanks like yours helps too! If you can't determine what your TV will support, post the model number of it too.