Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Using an external harddrive as a backup

• Please log in to reply

wdc202

wdc202

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
I recently bought an external harddrive (50GB) that is now connected to my Dell desktop (with XP) as my E-drive. I want to use the external harddrive to backup the documents (mostly *.doc) that I generate on the Dell desktop.

I am thinking of doing that by:

• Creating a folder on the external harddrive called E\DocsBackUp
• Using Windows Explorer, locating the documents I want to move to the E:drive and dragging them to the E:\DocsBackUp directory

Will that work or should I be downloading (preferably for free) an application that does the backup automatically? Do such applications exist?

Thanks.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Theres an excellent home backup software that GFI just released for free. Ive tested it out and it works great, very easy to setup and use.

Try it out here

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Thanks a million. ....wdc

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
diabollic: Is there a User Forum dedicated to GFI Backup?

It sounds as if GFI is just what I want but I'm afraid I need some hand-holding to learn how to use it. ..wdc

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
No there is not, but I should be able to answer some of your questions since I am currently using it as well.

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Great. Thanks. I'll package all my ignorance and will be sending it along.

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Diabillic: Re using GFI:

1: I want to backup on my external E-drive all the documents now in my C:\MyDocuments folder.

Once I do that, will the GFI application automatically update the backup files whenever I make any change to one of these documents? (I assume it will be.)

2: I also want to set up the GFI application so that all <new> documents I open in C:\MyDocuments will also be backed up on the E-drive.

How do I start the process to make this happen?
Thanks much.

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Diabillic: Some weeks ago you suggested I try GFI as a backup program and you offered to help me learn how to use it. I have only recently tried to use GFI and I am afraid I <do> need some handholding.

Please consider this example.

I have two files:
C:\testfold\FILE1.doc and
C:\testfold\FILE2.doc
both in folder TESTFOLD within my C:-drive.

I would like to create a GFI backup task that will place an updated backup copy of FILE 1 and/or File 2 on my external drive (in a folder E:\TESTFOLD) every time I make a change to either File 1 or File2.

I have created a folder called TESTFOLD on my E-drive.

To create this backup task …I clicked GFI, got the GFI Backup Task screen, and filled in the screen as follows:
For the source …. C:\Testfold\file*.doc
For the destination …. E:\Testfold

But I keep getting the error message “The source is empty.”

Can you see where I am going wrong? Thanks. …wdc

Ez2c

Ez2c

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I dont mean to jump in on the topic , doing a good job , but May i suggest...

When you edit your document , befor you close it down or whatever , you save it to your preferred location ???

I can see where you are coming from however...

Ez2c

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i've never used GFI...but.... instead of file*.doc in the source put *.doc or *.* (for testing purposes...once we figure out some things about GFI we can fine tune...though i'd imagine you're not really going to be that selective with your real backups)...GFI's backup routine may be case sensitive (which is silly)