Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win98 how-to-fix-registry-problems question...

• Please log in to reply

dumbstruck

dumbstruck

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi there!
My crappy PC is showing numerous registry errors after running Registry Checker, etc. and - even after checking through this site for a couple of days now - I'm still no clearer into what's going wrong. I've tried to install TuneUp Utilities but receive a message sating I must be on IE5.5 or higher. When I try to use Windows Update to upgrade IE I keep receiving a not-enough-memory message... even with 50 or 60 MB available (I said it was a crappy PC!). My PC's memory just seems to shrivel away to nothing for some reason.
Does anyone out there have any ideas what's going wrong? Spy-Bot and Ad-Aware both say my system's clean so I'm at a bit of a loss...
Thanks in advance for your help! :tazz:
Best,
john

Advertisements

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
What Operating System are you using? :tazz:

dumbstruck

dumbstruck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm using Windows 98 second edition... This is the right topic listing, isn't it?
Cheers!

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Sounds like you may just have several programs running in the background at system startup.

The following link does a great job of explaining how the Microsoft Configurator can help you disable unused programs.

http://www.pacs-port...tup_content.php

You might also think about getting more RAM for the system. If you've had it for a while, it probably won't caost much to max out the Memory for the Motherboard.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes. :tazz:

dumbstruck

dumbstruck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for the tip! There don't seem to be loads of extra programs working on
start-up but the site's pretty cool so I'll keep searching...

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Hi there!
My crappy PC is showing numerous registry errors after running Registry Checker, etc. and - even after checking through this site for a couple of days now - I'm still no clearer into what's going wrong.  I've tried to install TuneUp Utilities but receive a message sating I must be on IE5.5 or higher.  When I try to use Windows Update to upgrade IE I keep receiving a not-enough-memory message... even with 50 or 60 MB available (I said it was a crappy PC!).  My PC's memory just seems to shrivel away to nothing for some reason.
Does anyone out there have any ideas what's going wrong?  Spy-Bot and Ad-Aware both say my system's clean so I'm at a bit of a loss...
Thanks in advance for your help!  :tazz:
Best,
john

View Post

I'm still not sure of what your problem is. Are you worried about the registry errors reported? (You didn't list what they are)

The fact that you can't do a windows update with memory you have doesn't make sense. I just completed working on a PC that has 32 Mb of RAM and Win 98 and it did all the updates ok. Slow, even on my broadband, but it did get 40 some odd updates needed. Slowness is because it must read/write to HD as virtual memory. Make sure you have latest win update installer for Win 98SE. It should have brought up a window at M$' update site if your installer needs updating. Think version 2.0 has to be used for Win 98x.

This old PC (Gateway P5-200) was just bought by someone and it had problems booting. After fixing all the problems, I installed my USB softeware to use my cable modem and it works fine. If you want a nice tweaker, try FreshUI. They also have a lot of nice friendly utilities to use to clean hd/registry, download controller, etc. See them here :

Products

Best thing is...they are free! Got several on present PC.

As far as, your memory shriveling away to nothing, you don't have to have loads of programs running in background to do this. Just programs that are memory hogs, ones you're using that have a problem releasing memory back to system, maleware running in the background that does not show up in the normal way and may be running without you being aware of it.

You need to do a thorough check as recommended by this forum at the Malware Removal section. Not one program is going to catch these viruii and spybots/trojans. You need to scan and run several in Safe mode and post a HJT log in this right forum section if you find any. A PC with too few resources to begin with is very susceptible to having problems of slowdown.

Ron

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

The fact that you can't do a windows update with memory you have doesn't make sense. I just completed working on a PC that has 32 Mb of RAM and Win 98 and it did all the updates ok

I agree Major Payne. I installed Win 98 se OEM on a gateway with only 16 MB of memory (win 95 installed, small HD) and did all the important updates and most of my usual "Shell Enhancements", tweaks, et al. installed AVG, ZoneAlarm, Opera, and used Spybot S&D's teatimer. Pushed it to the limit maybe but it worked! Admittedly slow, But no problems upgrading. This was a friends fathers computer who wantedto use a printer he bought which he said "required windows 98" and wanted to connect to the Wild Wonderful Internet.

Make sure you have latest win update installer for Win 98SE. It should have brought up a window at M$' update site if your installer needs updating. Think version 2.0 has to be used for Win 98x.

You can find the current version anywhere, for example, Here at ZDNet. the current version is 2.0.2600.2.

Registry checkers I don't trust. they sometimes can mess things up if used unwisely. and often point to stuff that's not really a problem. It's better to use one to find registry problems and fix them yourself, using regedit. if your not an advanced windows user i wouldn't recommend you use a registry checker.

Follow Major Payne's advise and post a log. You definately seem to have some kind of problem.

dumbstruck

dumbstruck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks guys!

I'll check out your suggestions ASAP. Right now I have a HijackThis logfile for my PC. I've followed the advice in the "Must read this" intro - scanning with Ad-Aware, CWShredder, Clean-Up, etc. - and here's the logfile I get:Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 03:12:52, on 05/17/2005
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v5.00 (5.00.2614.3500)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGCC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGEMC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGAMSVR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINZIP\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\UNZIPPED\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\se.dll/spage.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = about:blank
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\OOBE\BLANK.HTM
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {206E52E0-D52E-11D4-AD54-0000E86C26F6} - C:\PROGRA~1\FRESHD~1\FRESHD~2\FDCATCH.DLL
O2 - BHO: TSCOM Class - {62160EEF-9D84-4C19-B7B8-6AC2526CD726} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IAIVUII.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {C17CC221-C0B6-11D9-89BA-4445DEB29A51} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\INKN.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGCC.EXE /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGEMC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_AMSVR] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGAMSVR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.windupdates.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.windupdates.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.skoobidoo.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted IP range: 213.159.117.133 (HKLM)
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'http' protocol is in Trusted Zone, should be Internet Zone
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'https' protocol is in Trusted Zone, should be Internet Zone
O15 - ProtocolDefaults: 'https' protocol is in Trusted Zone, should be Internet Zone (HKLM)
O19 - User stylesheet: (file missing)
O21 - SSODL: WkUZKCT - {3F3507EB-959F-AD41-EA42-54C6693086C7} - blank (file missing)

Is there anything I should be worried about? As a relative newbie, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

dumbstruck

dumbstruck

dumbstruck

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sorry to be such a pain but...

I just ran Windows Update but received the same "There is not enough disk space to install Internet Explorer" message - even though the update's 15.9MB and there's 30+MB on my system (though it starts off with 60+MB, which seems odd...)

After running Windows Update I'm prompted to "Download Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1" then given a list of 19 updates also to install. I've always tried to download them all at once but should I use the "Review and install updates" option and install the updates separately? Is that worth a try?

Again, thanks in advance...

dumbstruck

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I just ran Windows Update but received the same "There is not enough disk space to install Internet Explorer" message - even though the update's 15.9MB and there's 30+MB on my system (though it starts off with 60+MB, which seems odd...)

Just how much disk space is left on your Hard Drive? This is something entirely different from not having enough RAM. Think that's where I've gotten a little confused on your issue. If your HD truely has only 30Mb, then you're in trouble. You need to dump some of the garbarge off of your HD as well as do a scan disk and defrag of harddrive. Try to free up as much space as you possibly can. 30 Mb is way too little for some of these updates/software to be installed.

Do you know how to free up your HD? There is surely a lot of garbarge that can be dumped : Windows' TEMP and Temporary Internet files, the Recycle Bin can be dumped, your E-mail client's Delete folder that may be holding some deleted e-mails, a lot of log files that you aren't using. Do a HD explore for any very large files if you want. If you use Win 98SE's Maintenance Wizard it will help you get rid of some stuff you don't need. Dump all the files except the Win98 SE install file copies it reports available.

I would order M$'s free CD which provides install of IE6 and OE from a CD as well as a few critical updates. It's the Security Update CD, February 2004, but it sure has been nice to have as I don't have to go online to put IE6.0 and OE on a PC. Just need to catch all the latest updates once installed and running.

You shouldn't have any problems installing all the updates needed at once although SP1 may have to be installed by itself before you install the other updates. Sometimes this is the way it's done. Certain updates have to be installed separately from the others, but it will tell you onsite.

Ron

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Thanks guys!

I'll check out your suggestions ASAP.  Right now I have a HijackThis logfile for my PC.  I've followed the advice in the "Must read this" intro - scanning with Ad-Aware, CWShredder, Clean-Up, etc. - and here's the logfile I get:Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 03:12:52, on 05/17/2005
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v5.00 (5.00.2614.3500)
(snipped log results)
Is there anything I should be worried about?  As a relative newbie, any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

dumbstruck

View Post

I'm sorry, but your log is not going to be any use in this section of the forum. The experts, who read these logs and tell you what you need to do, or in the Malware Removal section of this forum. I can read your log, but I am not going to provide any advice as there are more qualified members in the other forum section.

Ron