Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer keeps rebooting itself randomly

• Please log in to reply

meme2009

meme2009

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I am having problems with my computer restarting out of nowhere. Sometimes when it restarts, it goes all the way through but sometimes it gets stuck and doesn't restart but the power light is still on. I just recently took it in to get repaired and they put in a new power supply. everything was working until that happened. Afterwards, it started with the random reboots/shutdown. Sometimes it would last for 5 minutes before it reboot and sometimes after about 4 hours, it would reboot so its random. could anyone possibly tell me what could cause this. I sent my computer back to the shop to check and they said it ran for them the whole time it was there. Keep in mind I only brought the box/harddrive part of the computer (the main thing). No other cables or parts.

Other info

i checked for dust and cleaned
i also switched outlets to see if it was the outlets
i ran my antivirus and nothing was there

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the system under warranty?
I take it since they replaced a PSU it is a desktop unit?
If so I suggest if it is not under warranty to open the side up and check to make sure the fans are all turning. It sounds like it may have a overheating issue.

meme2009

meme2009

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Is the system under warranty?
I take it since they replaced a PSU it is a desktop unit?
If so I suggest if it is not under warranty to open the side up and check to make sure the fans are all turning. It sounds like it may have a overheating issue.

yeah the fans are turning and it isnt under warranty. I had my computer for about a year now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Click HD diagnostic in my signature below. Choose the manufacturer of your hd. Download the tool. Running this will tell us if there is a problem with HD itself. If not then we will pursue other hardware or software possibilities