Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot update driver for sound card

• Please log in to reply

CollinsLL2

CollinsLL2

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
i recently wiped my computer screen and started over from scratch, and i have reinstalled all my drivers, except the one for my sound card. Wenever i try it gives me a message that says the software has not passed windows logo testing and gives me the option to stop installing or continue installing anyway, so i click on continue anyway, and it gets about half way thru before this message pops up:

The file 'ALCXWDM.SYS' on Realtek AC97 Audio Driver Disk is needed.

Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK.

I have gotten help from this site before, and was givin a link to download the driver from but it does the same thing as wen i just go to the device manager and try to update driver. can anybody help me with this or do i need to just get a new soundcard?? id really really rather not have to get a new one. thanx in advance for any help

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can update your chipset driver from your computer manufactures website ...
nojoy...

try here...get the newest driver and copy it to a cd...then when you get this message..
The file 'ALCXWDM.SYS' on Realtek AC97 Audio Driver Disk is needed.
Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK.

point it to your cd drive...

CollinsLL2

CollinsLL2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
that link wont work to let me download it, it keeps trying to get me to download and install some other program for updating my drivers, i tried that before and it was a pretty nasty virus i got. is this really what i should b doing or am i clicking the wrong link somewhere down the line????
Also would it work the same from a usb flash drive rather than a cd??

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I just tested the link and the download and it does not try to install anything...
and yes you can copy it to a flash drive ...
just point it to the flash drive letter when it wants it...

CollinsLL2

CollinsLL2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
ok thanx, i didnt see that small link there, on my screen theres a small add that says download now, thats what i was clickin before, i didnt realize it was an add. I am putting the file on the flash drive now, thank you for your help, ill b back if this for sum reason dosn't work. thanx again

CollinsLL2

CollinsLL2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
ok that worked but now i got the same message saying the file 'SOUNDMAN.EXE' on Realtek AC97 Audio Driver Disk is needed.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
to avoid doing this several times...find the cd that came with the sound card orgo to the manufactures website of your sound card and get anything they have for your PARTICULAR sound card...

CollinsLL2

CollinsLL2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
how can i find out what i need for my particular sound card and the manufacture of it??

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and get
EVEREST HOME VERSION 1.51... install it and click on the + beside DEVICES ....then the PCI DEVICES icon... click on the sound card and get a screenshot for me

CollinsLL2

CollinsLL2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
ok i have everest and i did what u said, but how do i take a screen shot??

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

CollinsLL2

CollinsLL2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
ok thanx

Attached Files

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you need to reinstall your chipset drivers...what is the make and model of your computer...

CollinsLL2

CollinsLL2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
its a gateway thats all i know. i bought the computer off a friend and dont have anything with it, just the tower

CollinsLL2

CollinsLL2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
is there nothing i can do without knowing the make and model??? or is there a way i can find out???