Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot update driver for sound card

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download and install EVEREST
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

Advertisements

CollinsLL2

CollinsLL2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
ok sry for the delay. here is the report

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK go HERE! for all MOBO drivers including newest.

MOBO is Intel Rexburg D845GRG

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
its here...get the chipset driver installed first then the Audio AC97 driver...
I recommend you grab them all while your there and burn them to a cd for sometime down the road you may need one or all of them

CollinsLL2

CollinsLL2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
ok i downloaded and installed the chipset driver. then rebooted my computer. then i downloaded and installed the Audio 97 ADI driver, wen i did that it ran the setup all the way then says driver not found reboot and run this setup again. i have done that 3 times and its still the same every time.

this is what i downloaded and istalled and the files i have for the Audio 97 ADI driver.

the picture is backwards, i installed the chipset driver first, and the Audio driver 2nd

Attached Files

Edited by CollinsLL2, 12 July 2009 - 04:44 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
look in the device manager...any yellow or red...
have you tried to play any music yet...

CollinsLL2

CollinsLL2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
yes i have tried to play music and it wont let me, when i try thru i tunes the song just wont play, its not just no sound. and wen i go to the device manager, the only thing that has anything next to it is multimedia audio controller. wen i right click it it gives me the options to uninstall, update driver, disable, or scan for hardware changes.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
update the multimedia audio controller and you should be back in business...

CollinsLL2

CollinsLL2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
thats what i've been trying to do, wen i try to update it it tells me i need that file mentioned in my first post, then wen i got that file on my usb drive, it told me i needed another file.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try going to Microsoft updates...custom...on the left side get any hardware updates it says you need...
do you have any sounds at all ..like windows start up or shutdown tunes...

Advertisements

CollinsLL2

CollinsLL2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
ok first no i dont have any sound at all, not even start up or shut dow sounds. I just went to windows and downloaded and installed all updates, i am attaching a list of the ones i downloaded and installed, these are the only 9 available to me.

The problem with this was that after i installed them all, of course i had to restart my system, but wen it started back up it was like my graphics card was disabled, i could only use the lowest color setting and it looked similar to safe mode, only not in safe mode. so i did a system restore to before the installation and that fixed the problem. so before i try this again which update should i not install to keep this from happening again?? O and i also tried my sound before i did the rollback, still didnt work.

Attached Files

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts

i recently wiped my computer screen and started over from scratch

Could you explain what you did? was it clean install of XP, a repair? What is this "wiping of computer screen"? Did you change anything in the BIOS?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go to the device manager and get a screenshot of the driver you need...
for how to post screenshot...go here...

Edited by happyrock, 14 July 2009 - 03:36 PM.

CollinsLL2

CollinsLL2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
ok sry that was a typo, i didnt wipe my computer screen, i wiped it clean. Yes it was a clean install of windows. im not really sure of the tech term but what i did was deleate windows and everything else out of my computer then re installed windows.

Here is the screenshot of my device manager

Attached Files

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go back to post # 19...follow that link and get ALL the drivers...burn them to a cd...then go to the device manager...click on the multimedia audio controller...up at the top click on action...then from the drop down menu...select update driver...

Edited by happyrock, 17 July 2009 - 06:46 AM.