Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Modems

• Please log in to reply

Hales01

Hales01

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ola people,

I've just been given a pc it is windows 98. I have downloaded an AOL free internet trail. When it was down Loaded it could not detect a modem. Is the modm the wire that goes from the back of the PC the phone line?

If so i do have one of them but it didn't come with the pc. I had a spare lead which was from my sky digital box but it fits like a glove. Is this the reason that the pc cannot detect it and will i need to get a different kind of modem?

<_<

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
welcome Hales

well if its a phone line modem, its a phone wire plugging into a phone slot into the back of the computer, it is fatter then a phone line wire at the tip its a CAT5 cable for a dsl or cable modem, you cant mix and match a dsl or cable modem into a phone line modem or vice versa, so is the wire skinny or fat? If skinny the adapter usually is toward the bottom of your computer and its a phone line thing, if its fat, then look for a bigger phone line looking jack in your computer near a little lite bulb which will turn green when its plugged in <_<

take a look at which ones urs

Cat5 for a cable or dsl modem

Phone Line for a Phone line modem

Hales01

Hales01

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for that!!

My connection looks like the first link you sent.

So is it the grey wire i need and the green light has to come on to confirm that it is connected.

Is there a green light that comes on, on every computer?