Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

cd drive broken maybe?

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 6 posts
i click the button to open my cd drive and it makes the sound for opening it but it doesnt come out :tazz: any ideas on how to fix this? it says its working properly on my cpu but it really isnt

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
uh oh, this does not bode well.
when I have encountered that particular problem in the past, it meant the tranport mechanism was screwed up, either a gear or a belt was not seated correctly any more. is this a laptop or a desktop PC?
if its a desktop, and therefore the drive is a standalone unit, in some cases it is possible to repair this. you would need to be comfortable opening the drive up, locating the part, replacing it, and re-assembling the drive. not really recommended if you arent sure of yourself on any part of that process.