Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Monitor working, but no picture

• Please log in to reply

canadanorth

canadanorth

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
It started with my pc (Windows XP) not "waking up" from a sleep mode so I had to reboot. Then my screen started flickering. I have played with resolution, graphics card settings (including re-installing and updating the driver), refresh rate, all in vain. Finally, the screen became black. I am sure that the monitor is fine because it worked on a different machine. My guess is that it is the graphics card, but that is as far as my knowledge goes.

Please help -- thanks a lot!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
It looks like video card problem.
Do you have on-board video, or separate video card?
Does same thing happen in Safe Mode?

canadanorth

canadanorth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
First, thank you very much for your help.

I am not sure about the video card -- it is NVIDIA GeForce 6100.

In safe mode, the screen is fine, just the resolution is very low, but I guess that is how it should be in safe mode. Is there anything I can do in safe mode to fix the problem? :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
In Safe Mode Windows loads generic video driver, that's why, you have only basic resolution.
If Safe Mode is fine, and Normal Mode is not, it looks like video driver problem.
Reinstall the driver.
Go to your computer manufacturer web site, download new driver, uninstall current driver, and install new one.

canadanorth

canadanorth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
:)
Thank you!

I have uninstalled the current driver and installed a new one from NVIDIA web site -- it looks like it works now. I also learned that I have an integrated graphics card.

However, after some time in sleep mode, when I move the mouse, I can hear the machine working, but the picture is still black (the monitor reports "no signal")? Then, I have to reboot and it is all fine.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm glad, you have your picture back.
If this is desktop, don't use any Windows power saving features. They're worthless, and they often cause problems.

canadanorth

canadanorth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Thank you again, Broni! :)

How do I disable Windows power savings features? (yes, it is a desktop comp)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're welcome :)
http://www.microsoft.../powermgmt.mspx
Set everything to Never