Please note, this computer is 6 or 7 months (AKA just out of warranty) old it has worked fine until now.
ASUS PQ5 Deluxe/Intel Extreme Duo 3.1 / Nvidia 9600 GT video card / 8 GB DDR2 (3?) RAM / 2 X 350 GB SATA Raid HDs & 1 X 80 GB (Only the OS loaded on this one) Vista Home Basic
Here is the sequence:
1. Turn the computer on. The power supply and fans come on. That's it. No booting no beeps, no hard drives spinning. Just the green "No Signal" light flashing on the monitor. Press the on/off button until the machine turns off.
1a. Repeat the process above. Same result (Three times)
1b. Curse growl stomp around blame the cat.
1c. Make sure video card is receiving power and that the cable is OK. Then put everything back together
2. Wait 15 minutes or so, turn on the computer everything loads normally
2a. Begin to suspect I have a strange problem.
2b Run virus/malware scan and find nothing
2c. Run a registry cleaning program. no real problems
2d. Start to Defrag hard drives, make coffee, go shopping and re-read War & Peace
3. Update all drivers BIOS and OS from manufacturers site. After the last one is done I receive the "Would you like to reboot your computer now?" message and click "OK" Computer reboots. Nothing happens. Blank screen the little green light on the monitor just blinks like the computer is turned off. I do hear the wife beginning to laugh hysterically in the background as she checks email on her laptop.
3a Curse, swear, growl, stomp around, blame the kids
4. Turn off the computer check all connections again.
4a. Wait 15 minutes or so a try again and the machine comes on
5. Format the drive that holds Vista and reload everything from the BIOS on up while the wife complains that I spent too much on an unreliable computer and tell me the next one needs to be cheaper.
6. Load all drivers, perform all updates, install all programs and so forth.
7. When the system reboots all I see is the flashing green light and a black screen, no sound of software loading no nothing except the wife telling me I should have bought a Dell.
7a. Curse, growl, stomp around, blame the Hong Kong government
8. Two days later. Sign up here to ask for help.
I figure this is:
a. A glitch in the mother board - I hope not
b. A problematic video card - I am not fond of the Nvidia 9600 GT card so maybe not a big problem
c. A problem with over heating but I checked that and there is no problem
c. A software compatibility problem - Please let me blame Bill Gates for this
Edited by Fai Mao, 05 July 2009 - 09:39 AM.