Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What does changing your IP address do?

• Please log in to reply

Beta55

Beta55

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I hear a lot of people talking about changing your IP address, what does it do?
Can people still Idk trace your location and phone number like that, I'm just confused as to why people want to change their IP address, what could you possibly benefit from that?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Does what it says, changes your IP address.
"People" can trace you back to a specific country but that's about it without a court order.
People change IP addresses for all sort of reasons, to get round server bans, to avoid bad server racks at the ISP when they have a temporary problem that renders a whole range of addresses, or just for fun. People who change IP addresses to get round server bans ultimately end up blocking an entire ISP from one server.

Beta55

Beta55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Does what it says, changes your IP address.
"People" can trace you back to a specific country but that's about it without a court order.
People change IP addresses for all sort of reasons, to get round server bans, to avoid bad server racks at the ISP when they have a temporary problem that renders a whole range of addresses, or just for fun. People who change IP addresses to get round server bans ultimately end up blocking an entire ISP from one server.

"People who change IP addresses to get round server bans ultimately end up blocking an entire ISP from one server."

I didn't really get this part, could you explain to me what an ISP is?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Internet provider. People you go online with.

mike171562

mike171562

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
With a person's IP Address you can track their location within 10 miles or so, try tracking your IP at this website.

http://www.iphacks.com/

Edited by mike171562, 07 July 2009 - 01:18 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts

With a person's IP Address you can track their location within 10 miles or so,

No you can't. That website says I'm currently sitting in the Yorkshire Dales in the middle of nowhere in the pouring rain on a laptop. I don't live anywhere near Yorkshire.
The IP will usually only trace you back to where the provider hangs out or where they keep their dial-in modem racks. I very much doubt my provider keeps a key part of its operations in the middle of nowhere.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
i agree - ten miles is a little out,

apparently my pc is on the corner of lambeth palace road in london, while i am in north manchester - over 200 miles away,

i believe that if you have a dynamic ip supplied by your isp then it works like this,

an isp has a fixed number of ip address's to hand out, one day there will be none left so the isp has to buy more,
when you switch your pc/router on you are assigned an address that is free (not being currently used - but owned by the isp),
this saves the isp money as not everyone will be online at the same time, so there will be free address's available,

when you look up your ip address and notice that you are in london then this is the 'real' address of when that ip address was first registered with your isp,

my isp supplies me with a dynamic address so i can be anywhere in the country by just switching my router off and back on again - i will only get my actual address in manchester matched with my ip address if tiscali (my isp) have ever registered an ip address here - and a lot of luck

hope this makes sense

a static address does what it says on the box (thats easier to explain :) )

mike171562

mike171562

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Well Im not in London or Yorkshire Dales, Im in Houston, Texas. I suppose it depends on your ISP and their Network Infrastructure, In Texas the IP you are assigned depends on what neighborhood or city you are in. At work we own a block of IP's and it puts the map directly on our building so it would depend on what country you are in

Daz3210

Daz3210

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
It also depends on the infrastructure in your country I understand.

For instance, here in the UK we still use copper wires and a modem for adsl broadband. That means routing via different exchanges of the telecoms provider, to the ISP. This can cause many fluctuations ion location of any IP as suggested above.

With cable and fibre optic, I understand it is more localised where you get your IP from. A modem is not used as such, you connect to a direct network connection, pretty similar to how you plug into any router unit.

So in one country 10 miles could be accurate, in others not so. It depends on your access methods.

Edited by Daz3210, 15 July 2009 - 02:50 AM.

hurryburry

hurryburry

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I hear a lot of people talking about changing your IP address, what does it do?
Can people still Idk trace your location and phone number like that, I'm just confused as to why people want to change their IP address, what could you possibly benefit from that?

Hi i usually change my dynamic ip address mainly to access site which has banned my ip address ....If any online website banned your ip address then you can't access the web page until you change your ip address if it is dynamic ip address then you can change it just by resetting your modem else if it is static ip address then you must have to inform your ISP to change it ...After changing your ip address visit sites like Ip-Details.com to find your present network ip address ...

bazzinga

bazzinga

• Pip
  • 8 posts

You can either totally hide where you are from like anonymous IP from nowhere or you have an option to select IP of a certain areas like a country or a city. Idk if it's possible to pick narrower location that a city though. But I would not recommend using the free IP changers as they offer limited amount of IP addresses and the absolute majority of them are banned

lindsayy

lindsayy

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I managed to hide my real IP address and get different European IPs http://www.vpnfaqs.com/2014/11/how-to-use-vpn-to-change-or-hide-ip/  using VPN service to bypass blocking and get access to blocked internet content sites, services and games and to ensure my online privacy and secure all personal data.