Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setup Netgear router wirelessly to laptop- no desktop

• Please log in to reply

yobraniac

yobraniac

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
I am helping a friend setup their netgear wgr614 router to their laptop but I am not sure how to get it working without it having to be connected to the laptop. I have the same router myself but I also have a desktop so I didn't have a problem with mine. So is their a way to setup their router so that they can use the laptop without it needing to be connected? The laptop is an HP with Vista as the OS.

Advertisements

mike171562

mike171562

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
You mean connected with a cable? Connect wirelessly and configure it.

yobraniac

yobraniac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
That's what I want to know how to do. The instructions with the router only tell you how to set it up with the cable connected. It won't show any other way. I don't know how to set it up wirelessly without another computer.

mike171562

mike171562

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Turn your Router On, search for available wireless networks, connect to your router, then open your configuration page just like you were cabled to it.

Connect Vista to A Wireless Network