Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows vista boot error

• Please log in to reply

GrahamCrackerCrust

GrahamCrackerCrust

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My brother brought his laptop over the other day and was having troubles booting from it. He gets the HAL.DLL missing message and it will not let him boot. We tried using the boot disk that came with the computer to do a REPAIR, but when you go to boot from the Vista disk, after it is done loading files, but before the welcome screen he gets the BSOD with the message

"stop 0x0000c1f5 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000"

windows will not start in safe mode, or from last good config, it always gives the missing file message, and will not start from the vista boot disk. I beleive that he was running XP at the time of the crash. It is a Gateway T-Series laptop. Thats all the info I have.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
This describes your problem exactly: http://www.delmartia...S-KB946084.html
Unless you are famliar with Linux though, it can be a little hard to do.
I can guide you through... but I will do it in a different way that is more user friendly.
Go here: http://www.ubuntu.co...ubuntu/download
Download Ubuntu 9.04 from a server near you. Check the 32 or 64 bit options at the bottom. If you don't know which one to choose, leave it at 32bit.
Download BurnCDCC: http://www.terabyteu...ee-software.htm
Open the .iso file you downloaded (the ubuntu one) and burn it to a CD using BurnCDCC. Burn at a slow speed to avoid errors (around 2X)
Once you have the CD created, post back.

GrahamCrackerCrust

GrahamCrackerCrust

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I initially found the article that you referred to in response, however it looked to be complicated.

I have downloaded the 2 programs you have suggested, and burned them to a DVD.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

I have downloaded the 2 programs you have suggested, and burned them to a DVD.

1st of all.... burn to a CD not a DVD.
What program did you use to do the burning? You are supposed to use BurnCDCC to make the CD. Open BurnCDCC, click on Browse, select the .iso file your downloaded, choose a slow speed (2X) to burn at, and click on Start.

GrahamCrackerCrust

GrahamCrackerCrust

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
CDs are so 1993.
I used the program you suggested (Burncdcc).

I burned it at the slowest setting it allowed.

have the disk, it boots up on the laptop.

If it is super important to make a CD instead of a DVD then i will need to go buy CDs

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
If it boots up fine then, a DVD is good too.
From the Ubuntu boot menu, choose Try Ubuntu Without Any Change To Your Computer.
Then wait for Ubuntu to load...

You should have your hard drive shown on the desktop, or in Computer... if you don't do a manual mount; the directions are in the bottom of this article: https://sites.google...without-windows
Once you have confirmed that you can browse through your hard disk, we can continue.

GrahamCrackerCrust

GrahamCrackerCrust

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok, got the "computer" tab open, and it lists 3 entries: 238 GB Media, CD-rw/DVD+/-RW Drive, and Filesystem.

I would assume that the 238 GB Media would be the hard drive, so we are good to continue

ASSUMPTION WRONG
when i tried to mount it was unable. I went to disk partition and and under the /dev/sda2 partition there is a big orange exclamation mark.

the details (abridged) are:
cluster accounting failed (2x)
filesystem check failed! totally 2 cluster accounting mismatches.
ERROR: NTFS is inconsistent. Run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot it TWICE!

can do the whole message if this is not enough info.

Edited by GrahamCrackerCrust, 08 July 2009 - 06:43 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
We can't run chkdsk b/c of the BSOD problem. We now have to run a HDD diagnostic... go here: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Download and burn the correct diagnostic utility to a disc, then boot from it and run a long diagnostic. If you don't know which one to use, try Seatools.

GrahamCrackerCrust

GrahamCrackerCrust

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
sorry it takes me so long, with work I travel a lot and cannot always be here everyday.

I was able to get the drive mounted without using any tools you suggested, there was a check disk, check memory option for Ubuntu, and i used that.

I can now browse through the contents of the HDD, ready to procede

**EDIT**
Do you still want me to do a diagnostic using one of the tools you suggested, or can we get it from here?

Edited by GrahamCrackerCrust, 13 July 2009 - 03:22 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Good, now navigate to the folder: WINDOWS\$Extend\$RmMetadata
Then look for the $Txflog folder and delete it.
Unmount your drive... ex. (sudo unmount /mnt)
Try booting into Vista now.

GrahamCrackerCrust

GrahamCrackerCrust

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
could be I am just missing it, but there is no extend folder in the windows folder, I have show hidden folders checked also.

Using the search option,I get 0 hits for either $RmMetadata, or RmMetadata

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Check if there is any option of typing a folder location (under Go).
Then type in the tree of your Windows folder, then the $Extend folder like: /mnt/WINDOWS/$Extend