Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't boot from CD-ROM to reinstall OS

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Does this mean it wont install over my existing OS?
Yes this is what it means
Do I need to press D to delete that partition
YES
and then C to recreate the partition?
Yes and then format using NTFS
Then install XP on that partition

Edited by rshaffer61, 06 July 2009 - 12:54 PM.

Advertisements

Nilla

Nilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I am having more troubles. I have tried to install twice now and have failed both times. Using that same link, I am able to get to PART 5. However, the second screen shot (enter the product key screen shot) never appears. It skips right over that step.

In addition in PART 6 I never get the first two screen shots (Network Settings and Workgroup or Computer domain). After windows finalizes the install, the screen goes blue and restarts. I don't get the prompt to restart.

In PART 7 I don't get any of the screen shots after the first one.

PART 8 never happens.

I have no clue what is going on. Like I said I tried to install twice but it fails. Any ideas? In the meantime I guess I'll go try again.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
You have a Dell computer. The disk you have is specific to the Dell. It does not sound like it is a restore cd, but built to install everything it needs including network and keys and activation.
In other words Dell built it with some items slipstreamed in.

When the install finishes, are you able to use it?
If its not activated, there is (if I recall) a symbol similar to a key down near the clock.

Go to start...run...and type in devmgmt.msc This will bring you to device manager.
Look to see if there are any missing drivers.

Nilla

Nilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hi 123Runner

When the install finishes, are you able to use it?

Yes although the resolution is terrible and I cannot connect to the internet.

If its not activated, there is (if I recall) a symbol similar to a key down near the clock.

I don't see that, just the windows tour icon.

Look to see if there are any missing drivers.

There are. They are as follows:
Other DevicesEthernet Controller
Ethernet Controller
Multimedia Audio Controller
PCI Modem
SM Bus Controller
Video Controller (VGA Compatible)
[/list]I was able to get the reinstall disk from my relatives. It is all from a Dell system so I don't know if it will work. I might give it a try though.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
To tell if windows is already activated go to start...run and put in "oobe/msoobe /a" without the quotes. Then hit ok.
If windows is activated, it will tell you.

Next: you are missing the mainboard chipset drivers. That is why you have errors in device manager.
We can fix that. It will take some investigation.
Do you have a driver cd? If so that will have the chipset drivers that we need.
If not, we need to find out what computer you have. I believe (if I'm in the correct post) you said a dimension 3000. There should be a service tag on the computer someplace. With that, we can get the drivers from Dell.

I was able to get the reinstall disk from my relatives. It is all from a Dell system so I don't know if it will work. I might give it a try though

. If this is a restore CD, it needs to be for the exact Dell that you are trying to restore. The restore will reformat and wipe out the entire drive and you will lose the other partitions.

Nilla

Nilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Did that and it said that windows is already activated.

I don't have a drive cd. Correct, my computer is a dell dimension 3000. Service tag number is (I think) 386VM51

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
You need to be sure the tag is correct.
If it is correct, your drivers are located HERE.

Your chipset driver is HERE.
Download and follow the instructions for install. Then go back in and check device manager.

Nilla

Nilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hmm this is strange. I can't download the chipset driver without first installing Microsoft .NET Framework? Well this will take me a little while because the framework is 60MB. Funny that I have to download and install that framework just to get a 2MB driver.

edit: Ok this is going to take me forever (slow internet connection). I was wondering if you already have the framework installed it was possible to attach the driver to a post? Or possibly email it to me?

Edited by Nilla, 07 July 2009 - 02:42 PM.

Nilla

Nilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
it sped up! Got it installed, restarted and nothing changed. Device manager is the same as before.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
We will try something else.
Go to the drivers section where you have all the drivers and download the "recommended" 1 under the network section.

If we can get the network going, then you can get some windows updates and the .net that you need.

Advertisements

Nilla

Nilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I am using another computer to login to G2G and to download the drivers. I was instructed to install .NET on this other computer. However, I will try to install the network driver aswell.

edit: The network driver worked! I am able to connect to the internet now. I am downloading windows updates.

Edited by Nilla, 07 July 2009 - 03:10 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Good. :)
Download the audio driver from the link provided by 123Runner next. Also download the video driver and then raise your resolution.

Nilla

Nilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Things seem to be working now. Good to know that the dell has built in some of the steps. Would have saved some time! Thanks everyone for the help!

One last question. Is there a way to modify some of the programs that load during start up? For example, there is a Windows Search for indexing that loads when I boot the computer. I dont use this and was wondering if I could stop it from loading to speed up boot time. I check the program and don't see the option to turn it off. Is it possible to stop it?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Thank you for mentioning that... indexing process can sometimes kill a computer's performance.
Follow the instructions here: http://lifehacker.co...s-xp-031440.php

Also... to disable other startups, go to Start -> Run -> msconfig
Go to the startup tab and deselect any things you don't want to start with Windows... do a search on the internet to make sure that it is safe to disable the startup item.

Nilla

Nilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Thanks edge2022 for the link and info. I was able to uncheck Windows Search (C:\PROGRA~1\WI459E~1\WINDOW~1.EXE /startup) in msconfig. I did a search and didn't really find anything about not to turn it off. So I think it is safe to turn off.

Thanks again for everyones help!