Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freesco

• Please log in to reply

kwacka

kwacka

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm attempting to use an antique (1995) laptop as a router using 'Freesco' (Free Cisco) on a floppy, so modem-router/laptop router.

Most stuff seems to be coming along OK, but I'm using DynDNS as I don't have a static IP & I want to access network when I'm away from home. Desktops/laptops in network are all set as static IP of course. DDclient is set up for DynDNS on the laptop.

However when I enter my domain name into browser from any box (even outside network) I get my router's setup page.

Where am I going wrong?

An alternative to the laptop would be to get the soldering iron out and hack the WRT-54G (compact flash memory, that sort of thing) that's sat in a cupboard - would this have any advantage over the laptop?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The domain name changes its IP address to whatever you're online with. Whenever you go to that address you will be presented with the Setup page if the router knows you're using a computer on the same network or IP address. Typically you open Port 80 on the router and have a web server such as Apache or Xitami or whatever running if you want to access pages or stuff.

kwacka

kwacka

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the advice Neil.

Router set to forward port 80 to old laptop - getting the Apache 'IT WORKS' now.

Thanks again.

Edited by kwacka, 07 July 2009 - 08:59 AM.