Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! Unable to Launch Photoshop; Always receive an Error Message

• Please log in to reply

captainsky

captainsky

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi,

First, let me says thank you for taking the time to read about my problem and hopefully offering helpful feedback. I really appreciate it as I am totally stumped as to how to proceed with fixing the problem that plagues me.

The PROBLEM: Photoshop CS4 will NOT launch. After working for a week, the program started showing an an error message whenever I launched it. The error message is as follows: Adobe Photoshop CS4 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. I have the Adobe Master Collection CS4 installed on my system and all the other Adobe programs work fine; it is only the Photoshop program that is NOT working.

My first action was to see if I received the same error message if I was in SAFE MODE. To my relief, in Safe Mode I found that Photoshop launched WITHOUT a problem, generating NO error message. After rebooting the system I proceeded to MSCONFIG and turned off ALL the start-up items, services, both Microsoft and non-Microsoft, and the System INI and WINIIN files. I thought this would create a very similar environment to Safe Mode; however, there is obviously a difference because Photoshop still received the same error message even after turning everything off under MSCONFIG. I am a little confused because I thought that turning off all the services and start-up items was basically the same as Safe Mode.

When MSCONFIG did not work, I resorted to another option, and that was to roll-back my system using Roxio's BackOnTrack. Fortunately, I had a number of restore points and I started rolling back the system. I rolled back as far as a week before, to the time when I had just installed Photoshop and everything was working fine. However, that still DID NOT fix the problem with Photoshop. I guess rolling back does not restore the system to the EXACT state it was in prior.

Finally, I resorted to uninstalling the Adobe Master Suite with Photoshop and then REINSTALLED the Adobe Suite on my system. I thought this would definitely fix the problem, but, alas, it also DID NOT fix the problem. As soon as I tried to launch Photoshop again I received the same [bleep] error message.

I am so FRUSTRATED and have no idea how to proceed. I am hopefully optimistic that since Photoshop works in SAFE MODE that there MUST be a way to determine and fix the issue that is causing Photoshop to always receive an error message upon launching. I do not want to have to reinstall the entire operating system to resolve this problem as it would be so much work to reinstall all my programs. Argh! Please HELP!

I would greatly appreciate any feedback that would lead me in the right direction to fixing this problem, as Photoshop is an important program in my arsenal. Thanks, again!!

Advertisements

Flash113

Flash113

• Pip
  • 4 posts
What are your system specs ? :)
-------------------------------------------------
I'm sure you do have what it requests .
-------------------------------------------------

And what i found was that CS4 is alot more buggy and system demanding then CS3.

I used CS3 since launch and ive had no issues what so ever.

Edited by Flash113, 05 July 2009 - 08:15 PM.

Vectris

Vectris

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm not familiar with Roxio's BackOnTrack so I can't tell you what it should of restored however have you tried using the Windows built in System Restore tool to restore it to the week when Adobe was working? Ultimately there is no tool that restores everything on your computer as that would involved backing up every single file. Instead backup tools target major computer settings that could cause errors when changed.

Also, do you remember making any significant changes to your computer during the week that it was working? I don't believe the error would randomly happen, it was most likely something you changed the day before it stopped working.

captainsky

captainsky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey,

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. I know my system specs are fine to handle the Adobe CS4 Suite because I actually had it working just fine on my computer for six months. It's just happens that I reformatted my hard drive about three weeks ago to clean up some problems. Now that I have reinstalled it on this so-called clean system that I am having the problem launching Photoshop and receiving the error message. That never happened before the reformat.

As for the person who mentioned not knowing about how Roxio's BackonTrack program works, I suppose it is similar to system restore but better. You cannot have both system restore and the Roxio program running at the same time, so system restore was off. I had installed some applications during the past week, but I didn't keep track of which ones. However, as I mentioned in my original post, I rolled the computer back an entire week to the point when I had first installed the Adobe CS4 Suite and it still did not work. So, that is when I knew it obviously didn't roll everything back and the key function it did roll back were not the culprits.

Any more suggestions, anyone?