Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD burner wont burn dvd+r but will Dvd-r

• Please log in to reply

megadethangar18

megadethangar18

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I was thinking whats up with this, i thought it didnt even matter if it was plus or not..i thought it always worked. im pretty sure its compatible with both but i guess i dont know.. :)

Advertisements

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
What is your DVD burner's model/make? Some burners only will burn on certain types of DVDs, so that is most likely the problem.

megadethangar18

megadethangar18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
it's my DVDRW SHM-165H65. im pretty sure it works on both but like i said im not sure.

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Hmm the drive's specifications say that it burns to both DVD-R and DVD+R disks. Have you tried using multiple DVD-R disks? What type of error do you get when you try to burn to a DVD-R disk? Is this a new drive or did it just stop working with DVD-R disks?

-mp

megadethangar18

megadethangar18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
it works with dvd-r disks but not dvd+r's. i tried two different brand of dvd+s both didnt work. i dont have any dvd-r's at the moment. it pretty much stopped working with the dvd+r disks. it will just eject when i get it started like it'll say please insert empty disk to write to and this disc is not writable. and weird enough it says the disc type in the recorder is a dvd-r.

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Perhaps try updating the firmware for your DVD burner, that might fix it. Is it having trouble reading any other kind of disk, or writing to any other kind?

megadethangar18

megadethangar18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
how do i update it? writes everything else..

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Download the firmware here. There are instructions there for installing it as well (Go to Optical Storage Products Firmware Upgrade Instruction).