Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Running Slowly

• Please log in to reply

shobabo

shobabo

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi,
My computer is running exteremely slowly and I was wondering if there's a way to make it run faster. I suspect it's a registry key problem since I've tried freeing up disk space, defragmenting, and running MBAM for malware/spyware. I have a Dell Dimensions 8200 desktop with Pentium 4 CPU, 1.69GHz, 256MB RAM. I've attached a hijackthis log. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
after you have been cleared by the malware pros...you only have 256MB RAM...thats part of your problem...512 should be considered the minimum and 1GB the sweet spot...
ram is dirt cheap right now....

shobabo

shobabo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks Rorschach112 and Happyrock. I'll do what you guys suggested. I really appreciate the help!