Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop having difficulting getting and keeping wireless connection

• Please log in to reply

mightyaargh

mightyaargh

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello all,

I'm new to posting here, but have read lots of threads and gotten a lot of valuable help. Hopefully, someone here can help with this problem.

On our home network, we've got a cable modem hooked up to a D-Link WBR-2310 Router. To that we have one desktop pc (Win XP)hooked up via a wired connection. We also use a Dell Latitude D620 (wireless/XP OS), and iPod Touch, and an HP Pavillion DV5000 (wireless/XP OS). We never have any issues with the desktop's internet connection, or the Dell's. I'm not too concerned about the iPod's, but the HP has a difficult time getting a connection. It often takes a long time at the "acquiring IP address" stage and seems to fail out there.

To get it going I either have to: hard reboot the router (which works, but after maybe an hour it looses its connection again), soft reboot the router (which also works, but the connection will get lost generally once you turn the laptop off and then you have to do another soft reboot), or log onto the Dell laptop (whereby the connection will stay on for a while as well).

The HP has always been a bit flakey with getting a signal, but lately (in the last 4-6 months) it seems worse. The only change during that time is that we moved the router (actually so that is only about 2-3 feet from the HP).

Obviously, the ideal is that I can just turn on the HP laptop, and get and keep a signal without having to muck about with any of the other equipment in the house.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements