Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Frozen on CHKDSK

• Please log in to reply

redeye2

redeye2

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi guys, I am new here and need some help. I recently recieved an older HP computer as a gift. It worked great, until recently. Every once in a while if I left the computer on and came back an hour or so later the screen would be blue and say something about a kernel error. I let it go the first few times. The computer would work fine when rebooted. However, it started doing it really often even while I was using it. I did a little searching and saw that several people recommended running chkdsk /r so I decided to do this. It said something along the lines of it can't run right now. It asked if I wanted it to run next time I restarted. I said yes. Now I can't get past the testing screens at all. Usually gets to 62% of level 4 then the screen will turn blue with white lines and it seems to turn off. Thats as far as it gets. Really frustrated. Not sure if the hard drive is bad. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Did you try to start it in Safe Mode?

redeye2

redeye2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
No, it was done in regular mode. The computer kept freezing while doing the scan. It would turn blue and give me the same error. I had to hold down the power button till it would turn off. Now it's not running the chkdsk anymore. However, I think I have another problem as well. I ran a virus scan through virscan.org 14/38 scanners said I had some type of virut. Which I know is not good. I don't mind doing a reformat the only thing is this computer was a gift and I do not have any of the discs that came with it.

Computer Guy AJ

Computer Guy AJ

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
so can you boot into windows is the big question

redeye2

redeye2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes I can, however, after maybe 30 minutes to an hour it will freeze.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
If Virut was found, it's not good at all. To confirm...

I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).