Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Search Companion (Windows XP)

• Please log in to reply

ThunderOcean

ThunderOcean

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
When I run Search Companion, it repeats continuously. In other words, having completed a Search and reported what it has found, it runs again even though the Search Button has not been pressed again.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...
1. Log on to the computer by using an account with administrator permissions.
2. Click Start, click Run, type %systemroot%\inf, and then click OK.
3. Locate the Srchasst.inf file.
4. Right-click the Srchasst.inf file, and then click Install. This reinstalls the files that Search Companion uses.

NOTE: You may need your Windows XP CD-ROM to finish installing Search Companion. This issue may occur again if you have Search Companion open when you connect to your ISP.

ThunderOcean

ThunderOcean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thank you for the information. I have not replied before because I have been considering what to do as my System was purchased from PC World and I do not have Windows XP Installation Disks.

If I do try and re-install Search Companion without the Installation Disks, what will happen if the process asks for them. Will I be able to cancel it without affecting anything or will I have gone from bad to worse with a partially installed/uninstalled Search Companion?

Incidentally, I would be grateful if you would expand on your final sentence. Am I right in assuming that my ISP has corrupted Search Companion in some way? How? Why?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

If I do try and re-install Search Companion without the Installation Disks, what will happen if the process asks for them. Will I be able to cancel it without affecting anything

yep...it will not get worse...nothing will happen...

Am I right in assuming that my ISP has corrupted Search Companion in some way? How? Why?

no..

fyr_girl87

fyr_girl87

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I also have a similar problem, but instead, I don't know how my search companion changed. Every time I want to open a file I have to go through a series of steps. Also a little dog appears on the bottom asking me what I would like to search. It is pretty annoying that I have to go through all these steps with the little dog. I remember before how easy it was to just click on a file and it would direct me right away to what I was am trying to get at. Please I need help with fixing this.