Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Vista Startup Repair problem

• Please log in to reply

Sticc

Sticc

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have an Aspire 5520 laptop runnig Vista Home Premium that will not boot. When I power up it gives me the option to go to "launch startup repair" I do just that. After clicking ok to the English and US screen I get to the System recovery options screen where I am to select the operating system I want to repair. There is nothing listed in the window. I suspected a bad hd but chkdsk in command prompt finds no errors. It's acting like the OS was never there. If I select "Load Drivers" from tis screen and try to access the c drive I get a message saying that the c drive needs to be formatted before it may be used.
Anyone have any idea what could have caused this. I have a copy of Vista and can reinstall but I really don't want to lose the data if it is recoverable at all.
Oh I also tried to do a physical test of the hd. The bootable disk I made from the iso file I downloaded from the WD site will not work.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I do get a blue screen if I try to boot wndows normally but it flashes so fast I am unable to read it.

Edited by Sticc, 06 July 2009 - 04:09 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Vista Startup Repair is about as much use in any given situation as a chocolate fireguard. It runs for a while and then doesn't do anything. It is known to make things worse.

Take the hard drive out, connect it to another machine, copy off what you want, stick it back in the laptop and then it'll be far quicker just to wipe it rather than try and fix it with the inferior tools Microsoft provide.

CraigBGower

CraigBGower

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

In order to fix this problem, follow these steps:
1. Try restarting the computer, and press F8 (the function 8 key) after the BIOS boot screen (Manufacturer splash screen) 2. This should give you the list of (Start Windows Normally, Safe Mode, ETC.) Find the option called “Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure”.
3. Select this option, and continue booting. This will allow you to see the bluescreen for more than a "microsecond."
4. Now insert your Vista DVD in the computer's drive and boot from it (if your computer doesn't boot from it automatically, you'll have to access the for your laptop and select the CD/DVD drive option.
5. Once you boot from the DVD and the windows - like screen comes up, click continue, then Repair My Computer. (Bottom left of the second window.) You should be able to run startup repair from here, and it should recover your operating system to the default state.
You must need to carefully follow the above steps as any wrong step may cause the serious problem with your computer system. As you must need to be little advanced to be work in Windows BIOS, you can download Windows Vista repair Tool which will help you to fix your problem with Windows Vista. You can read the instruction to use this tool on this page: http://www.windowsvistastartup.com/