Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

fix <windows root>\system32\hal.dll WITH cd

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ipoder2

ipoder2

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Ok, i think this question belongs here, so here it goes. a little background info on the problem: i have 2 computers in my room, right next to each other. i turned them both off at about 3 am and went to bed, they were both working fine. today i woke up at about 2 pm and turned them on, both had the error in the title. the computer im on at the moment is a compaq, while the other is a northgate. the compaq is about 4 years old while the northgate is around 7. i ran a system recovery on my compaq, and now everything is up and running, surprisingly better than before. the only problem is on that on the northgate, when it boots up, there is no system recovery option. i know that if you put in the windows xp cd that things should work, only problem is that the compaq was bought off a friend, and neither of us have the cd, and the northgate is 7 years old, and i have obviously lost the cd. i have put the file onto a flash drive, but when i put it in and turn on my pc, no button will do anything to do, and i know that hitting escape is supposed to load it. i have also tried contacting northgate, but of course, they are out of business. if you have any way that could possibly help me i would be very grateful.
thank you
sincerly,
ipoder2

that was my other thread, just some background info. i now have a cd. if someone could walk my through the steps on what to do now, that would be great! this is wht i have done so far. i put the cd in, and made the computer boot from the cd. i pressed r to repair. i pressed 1 for c:\windows. and i entered my admin password. now what?

Advertisements

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Type the following in the command prompt, exactly as you see it

expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll /y
If d isn't the letter of your cd drive, replace it with the current drive letter.

Once you have done all this, reboot your computer and XP should start to boot.

-mp

ipoder2

ipoder2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
i got this the system cannot find the file or directory specified

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts