Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Question about FSB and Processor compatibility

• Please log in to reply

DarkMystic122

DarkMystic122

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Okay so I have a small dilemma and I'm still learning about how to put together systems. A relative of mine has a motherboard that is a Gigabyte GA-8VM800PMD it is a LGA 775 socket motherboard. And their CPU Compatibility list is a little confusing to me. Are all those processors compatible with the motherboard? And if I get a processor that is 1066 or 1333 when the motherboard can only support up to 800 does that mean the FSB of the Processor will slow down to that speed or not work at all?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Yes, it means they will slow down to the lowest common speed.

DarkMystic122

DarkMystic122

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
So would I also be able to use more Processor Series like this one? Sorry if I sound really novice on this like I said Im still new to building a brand new system. And thank you for the help.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

So would I also be able to use more Processor Series like this one?

I think if a major motherboard maker like Gigabyte goes to the trouble to test and publish a list of compatible CPUs for a specific motherboard, I would use a CPU from that list. I am certainly not going to stick my neck out and say "It's not on the list but it has the same number of pins so sure, it will work." It might work. I don't know. I don't think damage will occur if you tried it, but I would not risk it. I recommend you choose one from the list, or at least contact Gigabyte tech support and ask them about that specific CPU with your model number and version number board.

Sorry if I sound really novice on this

Show me an expert who says he was never a novice and I'll show you a liar. The stupid questions are the ones not asked - or asked after the puff of smoke, when the answer has become blatantly obvious. It is wise to do your homework first and the inclusion of links to your motherboard and the CPU list would indicate you have, and that you are no novice at this! Everything is relative, after all. I'm still learning and I've only been in IS/IT support for 35+ years. :)

steve1966

steve1966

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ive got an older dell with a 1.6Ghz cpu 400fsb, and I want to put in a 2.6 cpu 533fsb, is this possible?
Thanks