Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Registry keys - missing Upperfilter & lower filter, etc

• Please log in to reply

Unitednations

Unitednations

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi. Problem: I deleted upperfilter and lowerfilter in Registry and rebooted (as per the instructions on microsoft's website and elsewhere, running XP) as I was having problems with my DVD drive not recognizing DVD's in my drive, hence making it impossible to burn. When I rebooted, the filters did not reappear as had been suggested. Some further context: In my various attempts to fix my problem since this, I have: 1)gone to the manufacturer's website - Gateway - to update the optical drive which didn't work; 2) Deleted the DVD/CD-rom in the device manager and then rebooted; 3) bought an external DVD burner and hooked it up....but it experiences the same problem; 4) Finally, I upgraded from Nero6 to Nero9.
Any briliant ideas to help me with my seemingly incompetent effforts to fix the problem? Any ideas what might be wrong?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Is it Windows Explorer, which doesn't recognize DVDs, or Nero?

Unitednations

Unitednations

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The DVD doesn't work now for either windows or Nero. Snce posting, I even tried to restart with 'f8' at srartup to rebbot with 'last known good configuration' but that did nothing. The external burner still doesn't work either, which leads me to think that it has to be related to the registry keys, etc, not necessarily just my DVD hardware on the desktop. Any ideas of how to resolve would be greatly appreciated.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
OK. This is still unclear.
Do internal/external drives show up in Windows Explorer/Device Manager/Disk Management?

Unitednations

Unitednations

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yes, the internal/external drives show up in Windows Explorer, the Device Manager, & Disk Management.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
OK, so what actually doesn't work? Burning?

Unitednations

Unitednations

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It won't burn, nor will it play dvd's. It's hard to think it's the laser on the orginal dvd burner alone that's causing the problem...as the same issues occur for the new external DVD burner that I purchased......which is a little odd, but I attribute that to my mistake in deleting the upper/lower filters in the registry? Some more context: when I turn on my Itunes it states that the 'registry settings are missing' to be able to import CD's, which of course, I already knew. The 'Exactaudio copy' software that I use to rip CD's still works though. Sorry, if I'm a bit all over the place on this; I'm not hugely computer literate.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Scratch it. Wrong thread.

Edited by Broni, 07 July 2009 - 09:43 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
One of these may help:
1. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
2. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

Unitednations

Unitednations

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for suggestions. Unfortunately,neither worked.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hold CTRL, and SHIFT, hit Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD (rarely in Vista case).
If sfc won't find any errors in Windows XP, it'll simply quit, without any message.

Unitednations

Unitednations

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Did this and it did not yield anything; it finished scan and that was it. I checked registry again and there are still no upperfilter/lowerfilters in DVD - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318. Iasssume the filters need to be there again for things to work. At this point I'm wondering if anything else (reloading Nero9 for example) would make any difference?........

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
No, filters shouldn't be there.
What player do you use to play DVDs?

Unitednations

Unitednations

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Typically, I use WinDVD, although as part of the software for the external DVD burner that I purchased and intalled, I also loaded PowerDVD, part of the Cyberlink software CD that came with the burner. I did not load Nero that came with the burner, as I already have NERO 9 on my computer. I upgraded from Nero6 to Nero 9 a week or two ago. My problems started before any of these new programs were loaded. The burner stopped worked after deletion and restart of the upperfilter/lower filter in the Registry.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

I deleted upperfilter and lowerfilter in Registry and rebooted (as per the instructions on microsoft's website and elsewhere, running XP) as I was having problems with my DVD drive not recognizing DVD's in my drive, hence making it impossible to burn.

The burner stopped worked after deletion and restart of the upperfilter/lower filter in the Registry.

Which one is it then?