Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Basic Build

• Please log in to reply

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hey guys!

I am trying to put together a basic machine for my in-laws, who are currently using a Dell GX400 with an entire 256 mb of ram! yikes!!

They will use it mainly for internet, word processing, pictures, google earch, etc. No gaming.
Budget is $300-$400 and I put this together:
$9 Logitech Keyboard
$65 In Win Case/350Watt PSU
$74 Gigabyte motherboard
$120 Intel Core 2 Duo E7400
$46 A-Data 2X2GB memory
$28 Samsung Litescribe
$59 Western Digital 500 GB hard drive

Have I disproportionately placed any of the funds? Is anything in their overkill for what the system will be used for?

Monitor and mouse are not needed, video will be on board (with both VGA and DV-I).

Please let me know what you think!
You guys are the best- thank you!
~Matt

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

They will use it mainly for internet, word processing, pictures, google earch, etc. No gaming.

Based on this the amount of memory in my opinion is overkill. To look at pictures and surf the internet will not use much memory. Google Earth may be a little choppy but will work with one gig of memory. For smoother graphics 2 gigs will work great.

PSU with most cases are cheaply made. I would recommend a Corsair 450 Watt 80 Plus like this one HERE at Tiger Direct.

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
I agree with rshaffer61 on the PSU, but this one should do the job just fine. Antec makes great and high quality products.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817371023

You could also go with this case which is cheaper but would be alot better in my opinion.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811119068

Crunchy409

Crunchy409

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Thanks for the input guys. Based on the budget, and the fact that I don't want to downgrade anything else I think I'm going to cross my fingers on the included PSU. A comment or two said it held up pretty well.