Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

vista last known good configuration/system restore wont work

• Please log in to reply

jenniferocala

jenniferocala

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi, i have a vista 1525 inspiron DELL laptop. I got it last Jan.08. This thing has been terrible. It would crash if i manually shut it down, tried to install software (yes, vista compatible), anything would just make it go bonkers. Dell put a new mother board in it 6 months after i bought it. This thing has been down more than up. i have probably only been able to use 2-3 months the whole year and a half i have had it. To make a long story short. The problem began when the cd/dvd drive didn't want to play music, so i did the last known good configuration. that worked at first but then it stopped again so i did it again. now last known won't work so i tried system restore to last good boot point and now all it wants to do is stay on that black screen with the green loading bar. i tried advanced option to disable the loop restart with errors but no luck. When i do the system restore point it restarts and gets stuck on that black screen so then i turn it off and do F8 to launch safe mode and the message then tells me the restore point was successful but wasn't. when i check the date, it didn't work. the original date is still there. i tried to download updates and other ways to fix this problem from the microsoft website but this pc won't let me download this info while in safe mode. I have the disks that came with this pc but i am afraid to lose the info in this. If anyone has any idea what i can do i would truelly appreciate it. also i did the problem scan and it said i had dll errors and from error report page event ID 10016 (it says 10,250 errors total from feb 09when it crashed last and i did a factory restore AGAIN)Source distributedCOM and described more as - <Event xmlns="http://schemas.micro.../events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM" Guid="{1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E}" EventSourceName="DCOM" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">10016</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-04-17T17:10:28.000Z" />
<EventRecordID>140513</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Jennifer-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-21-1848587654-2362414299-2141285025-1000" />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data Name="param1">machine-default</Data>
<Data Name="param2">Local</Data>
<Data Name="param3">Activation</Data>
<Data Name="param4">{9BA05972-F6A8-11CF-A442-00A0C90A8F39}</Data>
<Data Name="param5">Jennifer-PC</Data>
<Data Name="param6">Jennifer</Data>
<Data Name="param7">S-1-5-21-1848587654-2362414299-2141285025-1000</Data>
<Data Name="param8">LocalHost (Using LRPC)</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

there is other info like warnings i can find. i did check the :check disk" and hardware check-all said ok but multiple problems with internet stopped and not responding-like over 300 errors there, i uninstalled everything i could to help there, now just lost. it lso wont let me into the backup and restore center or access the online help from the start menu-desperately stressed!!!!!my job now depends on this thing working and working dependably-any help would be a blessing. thanks for your time and consideration, jennifer

Advertisements