Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ADVENT 7203 LAPTOP BOOTS UP BUT NO IMAGE ON SCREEN

• Please log in to reply

alexkershawftw

alexkershawftw

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
When I turn my Advent 7203 laptop on, the power light turns on and I hear and feel the fan turn on, but there is no image on the screen.

I have tried this with the power cable in and with the mouse in, with the power cable in and without the mouse in, without the power cable in and with the mouse in and also without the power cable or the mouse in. Nothing changes in either scenario, so it has nothing to do with what is being plugged into the computer.

The laptop has battery too, because I have secured all cables in the power lead and when I turn the laptop off, the power light turns orange to show it is charging. I have been attempting to turn it on for about half an hour now, the battery should easily be charged enough to turn on.

I have tried removing the battery from the laptop and holding the power button for one minute. However, I am not sure I even pulled the battery out because when I pressed the power button, the laptop turned on as normal, and then after a few more seconds it turned off again because I still had hold of the power button. I'm pretty sure I did not have the power cable plugged in when I attempted this althoug hI could have, but I have already screwed what the 'battery' back in.

I have tried pressing fn + F3 to swap displays and I pressed it many times and there is no image still. Now I am worried that even if I find the solution, it will be set on the wrong display and there will be no image, so I will have to press fn + f3 a few times after everything I try now.

Apparently, if some light has broken in the back of the laptop, when you shine a bright line on the screen you can still see a faint image. I tried shining a bright light and there is nothing on it.

This has actually happened before (a couple of weeks ago), but I just turned the laptop on and turned it on again and it worked.

I have been browsing the web and many people seem to have this problem and one person had this problem for a couple of days, then switched his laptop on two days later to find it worked.

I desperately need ideas here; this is not my laptop, it is my mum's, and I am just borrowing it off her. She is not great at computers and she is going to think I have broken her laptop becauuse it will not turn on so I need ideas that don't involve getting an expert to look at it.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by alexkershawftw, 07 July 2009 - 04:45 AM.

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Well, what you describe sounds like a bad LCD backlight. This can either come from the backlight tube itself being bad or a bad backlight inverter. Unfortunately, if it is the backlight itself, this is a ROYAL PAIN to replace. I did it once and honestly will NEVER do it again. It requires a HUGE amount of precision, patience, time and work. The problem is that backlight is integrated into the LCD and you have to take the whole LCD panel apart. I honestly, think it was easier and worth it to buy a replacement screen with a working backlight as opposed to saving the money to replace the tube myself.
The inverter on the other hand was SUPER easy. Undo one screw and two plugs (after accessing it) and it was out. Reverse to replace.