Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keylogger or Virus (or both)?

• Please log in to reply

Irishguy23

Irishguy23

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey all, new member here. Hope someone might be able to shed some light on this.

I was attempting to free up space on my pc and was in the uninstall menu when I saw something called "All in One" - no other info, just that it was 1.6gb(!) in size and apparently installed late 2008. Now let me first say I may have installed it myself, I just can't remember. Only one other person has physical access (in terms of admin rights) to my pc and I'm pretty sure they are not the culprit. From my research, apparently it is a commercial key logger (meaning someone with physical access installs?) Does this mean it could not have been installed remotely? When I went to remove it asked me for a password, and then AVG (which detected nothing to this point or for last few months!) went mad saying a trojan was present ("Infection";"Trojan horse Agent.AHXI";"C:\Windows\System32\lcbrrrgmynr.exe). There is a worse case and best case scenario - worst case (I think this considering it says Trojan despite the all in one website saying it can't be installed remotely) is that it was installed remotely and someone has all my info from months back. Best case is I was messing around and installed it myself (I have installed keyloggers before for protecting who uses my laptop). But this still means there is a huge log somewhere on my pc with all this info. What happens if I want to sell my laptop someday? Or if it keeps accumulating taking up space?

When I tried to remove this trojan, it kept popping up in AVG except instead of one listing, there was four. There are several listing now in the virus vault, though I know it was not succesfull because AVG kept saying cancelled by user. Strangely All in ONe has now disappeared from the uninstall menu, even though I did not uninstall it!

As well as using AVG fairly regularly, I also update my Windows updates, I use Spybot Search and Destroy and Windows firewall. None of these have noticed anything wrong up to the point where AVG went crazy when I clicked to uninstall All in ONE. I have not however scanned in safe mode (ever to my knowledge) - I am adequate with computers but am no expert. What should I do?

All help appreciated, apologies for length of this.

Advertisements