Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System is not stable since upgrade

• Please log in to reply

T. C.

T. C.

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I can not get my system stable since upgrading my processor and memory. I want to run the memory at 1066mhz (the whole reason for the memory upgrade) but I can not even get it stable at 800mhz.

pc spec:-
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5 (rev. 1.0)
Graphic Card - PowerColor ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2 "Special Edition" 1024MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Triple DVI/HDMI (PCI-Express)
Processor - AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz (Socket AM3)
Bios - F8d
Memory - Kingston HyperX 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 8500C5 1066MHz Dual Channel (KHX8500D2K2/4G)
Sound - On board
Power Supply - Hiper 880W HPU-4M880 SLi Certified ATX 2.2
Vista Home Premium S/P2

So far I have flashed the bios to the current F8d, tried upping the voltage between the 1.8v amd 2.3v as advised by Kingston. I have run memtest with no errors showing. I have the 2 moduals in slot 1 & 2, I have tried just 1 modual on its own whth the same errors.
I am getting blue screens, system hanging, and sometimes just rebooting. This happens when tring to run a game (X3 Terran Conflict) and when opening firefox or IE8.

Kingston have advised me:-

"Please adjust the FSB (Hyper Transport) and the CPU ratio as well to raise the speed of the whole system to match the 1066MHz speed of the memory, not only the memory clock to the 1066MHz.

Try to raise the voltage of the Northbridge as well as the module voltage by 0.05V each time. After some try/fail settings you should be able to run the system on the faster timings, even though we can not guarantee that it will run on the highest one, because the whole system’s stability is also influenced by the other components (HDD, Graphics card, etc).

Having not done any overclocking I am not sure what other timing/voltages to change, can you advise what to try and change?
Thank you in advance for any advice. :)
T. C.

Advertisements