Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Samsung HDD 2.5 HM320JI

• Please log in to reply

blazelz

blazelz

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
I am trying to upgrade my 80gb hardrive with a 320gb HDD from Samsung model HM320JI.
I formatted with windows XP and then used Acronis True Image to clone my 80gb C: drive to the new 320gb samsung via a 2.5" USB case. The entire process took like 3-4 hours and successfully completed.
I installed the new drive on my laptop, gets passed the dell screen, then windows screen appears and 2 seconds I get a blue screen with this error: Stop: 0X0000007B.

I reinstalled the original 80gb drive so i can use the internet to find fixes for this error, but no luck. I connected the 320gb via USB case and now windows recognizes drive as F: and shows only 73gb available. I tried to reformat but will only format 73gb.
Also, Acronis True image will not recognize the drive at all.

Please help! :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You've cloned the drive as a duplicate. In Acronis you can set the partition size to be proportional or specify new sizes. By default Acronis will only clone an 80Gb HDD to a new 80Gb partition on a bigger drive unless you tell it otherwise.

blazelz

blazelz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neil, thank you for your response. You are absolutely right, acronis does make the partition proportionately. Although, my problem is that it will not start windows when I install the drive on my laptop and when connected via usb, I cannot access the drive via acronis any longer and windows will only access/format the unused portion. How can I clean out the drive and try cloning again?

Edited by blazelz, 08 July 2009 - 06:45 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Boot off the first hard drive, the 80Gb and have the 320Gb drive connected to, but boot off the 80Gb.
In XP, if you go to Control Panel -> Computer Management -> Disk Management you can remove all the partitions from the 320Gb drive from there.

blazelz

blazelz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neil,

I tried exactly what you suggested. The problem is that computer management>disk management will only recognize 73.12GB "Unallocated" as Disk 1. I even right clicked and hit "new partition" but that only recognizes 73.12gb partition as the MAX capacity of the drive. any ideas?

thanks!

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I assume that your BIOS recognizes it as a 320GB drive?