Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP with upgrading XP 32bit to VISTA 64bit

• Please log in to reply

DannyPhilly

DannyPhilly

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi GTG,
I am currently attempting to upgrade my 32bit XP PRo to Vista 64 bit Ultimate. According to Microsofts website, I can not do a simple upgrade, I am forced to do a clean installation, which is fine. However, I do want to keep all my files, is there a program that can clone my hard disk and is able to migrate the files from 1 OS to another? Or do I have to bite the bullet and lose most of my files?

Thanks,
Danny :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Connect the hard drive to another computer and copy off what you want.
Then re-install 64-bit onto the machine in question and copy the data back.
Because there is no upgrade available, you will need to reinstall all the programs you currently use back into Vista 64-bit. You cannot copy them over.

Computer Guy AJ

Computer Guy AJ

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
now I hear that the 64-bit version I believe I heard allows programs to run better correct me if I'm wrong but are there any other major reasons to use the 64-bit although I prefer x86 what are your reasons to use 64-bit I hope I dont sound rude.is there a reason or is it just the version you purchased without realizing it

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts

are there any other major reasons to use the 64-bit although I prefer x86 what are your reasons to use 64-bit

x86 isn't the operating system, it's the processor's instruction set architecture. I assume you mean you prefer 32bit.

Running 64 bit has many different pros and cons. Programs that can take advantage of the 64 bit operating system can run much faster than those on a 32 bit operating system. The processor will also be able to access more memory, which will also increase performance.

DannyPhilly

DannyPhilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

are there any other major reasons to use the 64-bit although I prefer x86 what are your reasons to use 64-bit

x86 isn't the operating system, it's the processor's instruction set architecture. I assume you mean you prefer 32bit.

Running 64 bit has many different pros and cons. Programs that can take advantage of the 64 bit operating system can run much faster than those on a 32 bit operating system. The processor will also be able to access more memory, which will also increase performance.

Thats part of the reason, also my computer is fairly powerful (Core 2Quad 6600, 2 X radeon 4890s in Xfire, 4gb ram,) and will be able to fully take advantage of a 64 bit system, especially when 7 comes out.

Thanks for your help guys

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Not a problem, glad we could help :)

-mp

Computer Guy AJ

Computer Guy AJ

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
thats what I heard about that 64-bit and yea I only said x86 as because I see people referring the 32-bit bit as x86.I know I didnt help out but your welcome happy computing :)