Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Installing AMD Athlon x64 Drivers!

• Please log in to reply

Pakorn1

Pakorn1

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi all,

Been using these forums quite a bit as an awesome resource to help me build my most recent machine, but this is my first actual post.

I put together a machine with an AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core processor, and I'm trying to get the most recent drivers and Optimization Tool (as per Company of Heroes' instructions when I go to install the game.) If I go to Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>Processors, I can see the processor, but going into its properties shows the driver date as 5/27/2006. Now apparantly AMD has a driver out as recently as 8/31/07 (version 1.3.2.0053) but if you go to their page, the download link doesn't work (at least not for me; its just text that says "Download Now!" but it doesn't do jack.)

I found another place to download it here, and the first time I ran it I guess it uninstalled the old driver? Then, I ran it again and it installed and asked to restart. So I did that, then when the computer booted up again I went to System>Hardware>BlahBlahBlah, and the driver version was still the old one!! Did it not install? Or does that thing typically not update? The driver version it says I have is 1.3.2.0. How do I confirm whether the driver install worked?

I haven't tried this optimizer yet, though - maybe that will help? Please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

-Rob, AKA Pakorn

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
My 1st question would be did you download the one for 32 bit OS or 64 bit OS. Your 2nd link has both.

The 1st link did not work. Brought me to a page with no description.

Pakorn1

Pakorn1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I had tried the 32 bit OS.

It's weird. I installed the one I had found to download - it worked fine. I left my computer running for a couple days and finally just shut it down last night. This morning, when I went to start my computer, it blue screened as soon as the desktop came up. I had to do a system restore to just before I installed the drivers. So I guess I installed the wrong thing, or maybe just did it the wrong way?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just a question 123Runner if I can.
To install 64 bit drivers wouldn't the OS have to be a 64 bit version also?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Yes Rshaffer61, he would need a 64 bit OS to go with the AMD 64 bit processor and then the 64 bit drivers.
Unfortunately we do not know what OS he is using.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Push and hold the Windows key on keyboard. This is the one with the Microsft windows logo on it.
While holding Win key down click on the Pause\Break key

This should open the System properties window
On this window it will show

System info:

Microsoft Windows: type and version
Service Pack number

Registered Name
Register Number

Computer:
CPU type
Memory

I need all the above info in your next reply Except for Register name and number.
This is private and we don't need to know this information

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 4 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

Pakorn1

Pakorn1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Sorry! I've been away on vacation...

Its still running now after the Blue Screen/system restore issue, but I haven't tried again since I'm scared of another BSOD. But here is my OS info regardless; maybe I did miss something and you guys can walk me through it

Microsoft Windows: XP Professional Version 2002
Service Pack 3

CPU type: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 3.00 GHz
Memory: 3.25 GB of RAM (weird because I have four 1GB sticks in, maybe one of them went bad?)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You have a 32 bit OS so the 64 bit drivers probably will not work correctly.
Has there been any other BSOD's?
Have you rebooted the system to see if the issue returns?

Pakorn1

Pakorn1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have rebooted the system after the Restore, everything works OK now - haven't gotten any other BSOD's yet. I haven't tried using any other drivers though for fear of the problem coming back.