Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network

• Please log in to reply

deke

deke

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I need to reinstall Notorn's on a pc that is currently part of an NT Server network. If I take it to another facility that does not have a network and then do the reinstall as a stand-alone pc, will that change any network settings?

Will I be able to place it back into the NT network okay after the reinstall?

Thanks.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Are you asking about Norton AntiVirus? If so, which version?

deke

deke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
This is a basic question about uninstalling/reinstalling an application in a stand-alone (out of the network) mode. The pc in question is running XP Pro under NT Server 4.0.

My concern is that the network settings may change when I bring up the pc in a non-network/stand-alone basis and do the Norton's reinstall/uninstall. Then when the pc is put back into the network--at another facility--will XP Pro kow that the pc is now back in that mode?

The reason I need to redo Norton's is that the OS has been upgraded from Win98 to XP Pro and Norton's 2003 was not working right under XP Pro.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Well Norton does have enterprise versions of their software that update definitions from a central server rather than the Internet. In this case, it would certainly not work correctly as a stand alone computer. However, in general, most software installed on a network will work just fine when removed from the network.