Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

can my computer run this game?

• Please log in to reply

laxshman

laxshman

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
There is this game that i have been itching to get, and now its on the way in the mail. but i forgot to check if it works for me. its called Arma 2

ACER

Intel® Pentium® Dual CPU E2220 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

2046MB RAM

74 GB x 2

ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO w/ 128 MB

Generic PnP Monitor

Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

USB Root Hub

USB Root Hub

Windows Vista™ Home Basic (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830)

thats my rig. please tell me if i will be able to run it. the only part i think is bringint it down is the 128 instead of 256, but please tell me if that could be the problem, and If so, what is the best gaming card i can get for under $150?

Minimal PC System Requirements

* Dual Core CPU (Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz, Intel Core 2.0 GHz, AMD Athlon 3200+ or faster)
* 1 GB RAM
* GPU (Nvidia Geforce 7800 / ATI Radeon 1800 or faster) with Shader Model 3 and 256 MB VRAM
* Windows XP
* DVD (Dual Layer compatible), 10 GB free HDD space

Optimal PC System Requirements

* Quad Core CPU or fast Dual Core CPU (Intel Core 2.8 GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ or faster)
* 2 GB RAM
* Fast GPU (Nvidia Geforce 8800GT or ATI Radeon 4850 or faster) with Shader Model 3 and 512 or more MB VRAM
* Windows XP or Windows Vista
* DVD (Dual Layer compatible), 10 GB free HDD space

also, if this is in the wrong topic, please redirect where necessary.

Advertisements

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Will your system run it? Yes. Your video card isn't too high above minimum system requirements, but besides that you seem to be around the optimal requirements.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Not so fast. A HD 2400 Pro actually is much below a X1800 card in terms of performance. Also, it only has 128MB of VRAM, while the minimum requirements specify it needing 256MB. The card does support shader model 3, though, and since the rest of your system meets the requirements, you may have luck running the game at absolute minimum settings. I wouldn't count on it, though.

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Scottybet0 is right, sorry about that :)

If you want the game to run smoothly I would buy a new video card similar to one of the ones listed in the optimal system requirements. Anything lower would probably work, but it really isn't too expensive to upgrade to the optimal requirements.

This card here is the card the optimal requirements recommends, and should be compatible with your system assuming your motherboard has PCI-E 16x slots.

laxshman

laxshman

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
ok thanks guys. ill earn another $130 and go for a 4850 w/ 1 gig, that was my plan anyway but if you havebetter idea please let me know.

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
That sounds great, I'm sure you'll enjoy it :)

Before you buy it though are you sure your motherboard has PCI-E slots and not AGP? I know the graphics card you currently have comes in both flavors, so I don't want you buying a new PCI-E card if you can't use it in your motherboard.

If you don't know which slot your computer has, you can run this tool. Once you have run it post your mainboard Manufacturer and Model.

-mp