Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

svchost using 99% CPU and services.exe not opening

• Please log in to reply

ghostphalanx

ghostphalanx

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi there!
I would first like to say that I have been redirected here from the malware removal section of the forum by the member Kahdah, who helped me greatly time and again. He asured me my pc was clean and that the problems I'm having are related to windows XP itself so I should come here to seek help.

..And I sure can use some. So here are the symptons the pc is presenting:

First I noticed that one of the svchost.exe processes instances in the task manager was using all the avaiable CPU. I googled it up and try to solve it following some tutorials but to no avail.

Second: To be able to use the pc I would terminate the svchost process on windows start, but since that process is related to various services I would also enter the service manager to restart some critical services such as windows audio, dhcp, and a service related to my wireless adapter so i could connect to the internet...

Thirdly, after reinstalling my multifuntonal printer drivers, to see if I could properly scan images directly to photoshop, something went wrong and now I can't open the service manager anymore. when I try to run it nothing happens. I go to the task manager and I can see the services.exe process listed, but the program itself never shows up in the screen...

Also, for some reason, the explorer.exe process of windows is not loading itself on starup...
When I boot the pc, after logon, there's nothing onscreen but the mouse pointer and the desktop background colour. I have to manualy open the task manager and go to c:\windows\ to run explorer.exe so that the desktop icons and the windows interface properly appear.

After that I also receive some error messages about how the logon precess failed to start and also a process called rundll or something.

So I've been basically hotwiring my pc to boot and do basic stuff.

BUT... since my last reboot the task manager no longer opens when I press ctrl+alt+del. just like the service manager. I try to run it and the mouse cursor goes busy for a moment and then nothing. So I can no longer bypass the problem and I'm left with just the mouse pointer on the screen after starup and nothing else.

So at this moment I'm left wth a completly imobilized computer... I'm writing this post from my cousin's btw...

Any help is greatly apreciated!

I have windows xp professional service pack 3. Also I have a very specifically tuned up selection of programs installed for work and many many disk space filled with work data tha I would really prefer not to touch, as to say that formating and reinstalling xp would be only the very very last alternative for me...

Thanks a lot for your time and I hope you can help me!

Edited by ghostphalanx, 07 July 2009 - 10:09 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I see very slim chances of correcting so many issues, but you can try Windows repair: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Reactor

Reactor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I agree wit' Broni...it'd be a lot easier to do a full Windows reinstall or such. Plus, judging from these errors, it'll also be a lot shorter.