Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless connection not as good as it used to be!

• Please log in to reply

Zaine7673

Zaine7673

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hi, I have been with Sky broadband for a while now and am connected wirelessly via a Netgear wireless adapter attached to my desktop.

At first all was fine, speed was fast and i was always connected. but around 5 months ago i started to loose signal, speeds were terribly low, at times i couldnt connect, other times id be connected but couldnt browse cos it was soooo slow... etc.

I should be recieving 16MB of broadband speed from sky and i cant understand why its so slow. I would appreciate any help in finding out what the problem is and how i can resolve it as i have no knowledge in this area of computers.

thanks

:)

Advertisements

SpaceGhost79

SpaceGhost79

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am having a similar problem. I have a basic 1MB cable modem through Charter (local cable company). I actually downgraded from 5MB to 1MB about two weeks ago because I really didn't need it and it saved me $30 month.

Two nights ago my wireless connection just totally crapped out. Ultra slow and to the point where no webpages were loading. I connected my laptop straight to my cable modem and it was superfast, so I know the cable modem isn't the problem. I thought my router died, so I bought a new one, got it installed, and back online I was, though my connection was still a bit choppy.

I turned off the encryption the next morning and my wireless was alive and kickin'. But when I got home from work later that day it was right back to being choppy, almost back to the point a dial-up connection would be faster.

If I connect an ethernet cable from the wireless router to my laptop, it's still slow. If I plug it from my cable modem to my laptop, it's fast.

I only have one roommate and it's not like he's downloading mega-sized files all day; just surfing the web and using instant messenger. So I can't figure out why there's such a huge loss of speed through my wireless router all of a sudden. Any ideas?