Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thinking about upgrading to Windows 7..

• Please log in to reply

Deven

Deven

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hi,

I currently use Windows XP media center edition version 2002 service pack 3, on intel p4 3.0ghz 3gb ram with a 256mb nvidia geforce 5200x pci graphics card, my computer right now is pretty fast when i have many applications up and start up is not bad..

But someone told me that applications will run smoother and be even faster on windows 7 as well as load/start up time will be faster, is this true? also, when i upgrade, how can i make sure all my programs and files are transfered to Windows 7? My main concern is whether or not most/all of my current applications will work and also at a faster speed? i am really tempted to upgrade because it sounds like a very nice release from Microsoft, ive been using XP on this computer forever, but i dont want to change how my programs function and computer speed.

Thanks,
Deven

Edited by Deven, 08 July 2009 - 03:16 AM.

Advertisements

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Many of the programs you use now should be fine in Windows 7. I believe when upgrading to Windows 7 you have to perform a clean installation, so you will need to backup any important files and data. You will also need to reinstall any programs that you use now. I haven't used Windows 7 at all so I can't say whether anything is faster, but I've been told it's fairly smooth. Can anyone else confirm this?

-mp

Deven

Deven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Is there a way I can upgrade to Vista, and then Windows 7 so all my programs and settings stay intact? Has anyone tried this?

Apow

Apow

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Is there a way I can upgrade to Vista, and then Windows 7 so all my programs and settings stay intact? Has anyone tried this?

Newegg.com has a deal where if you buy Vista you can upgrade to 7 for free.

ajrichwalder

ajrichwalder

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
well Microsoft's first release of 7 did not come with the upgrade option but the release candidate which is still available you can upgrade I have done this three times don't worry about losing files but if the version you happen to get does not have the option to upgrade then I suggest what mpascal said and create a back up disk.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Clean install is always preferred option.

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Clean installation is probably a better option as well. You should just backup any important data files and reinstall any programs once installation is complete should you choose to upgrade. The choice is yours :)