Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

To replace or not to replace

• Please log in to reply

LTengu

LTengu

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, I'm wondering whether when one piece of hardware is fried; like the MoBo; should should all of my components be replaced, like PCI cards and memory.

I'm asking, because while I was downloading a 1.5GB game, (Ace Online) I had to go to class and didn't return for over 6 hours. But when I got back and went on my computer the computer wouldn't respond, and the power button wouldn't work, so I had to turn it off via the surge protector. When I tried to turn on my computer, the PSU's fans started for about a 20th of a second, (really quick and subtle) but the system wouldn't turn on. This has happened before I've figured out it was the MoBo, of which was replaced. I imagine the CPU was the problem (an old Pentium D 820 from a refurb gateway) as it was the only thing that hasn't be replaced.

I'm asking because I heard from somewhere that when something like this happens, the best course of action is to replace all hardware, otherwise you could be using unstable components. You see, I have a wireless PCI adapter that I know for certain is compatible with my installation of Kubuntu and can use my home network's 108Mbps speed. I've tried looking for the same model but it is only available from a website that I've never heard of.

If it is advised to get a new card I will but, I really only trust newegg for their really good RMA department, in the off-chance that I get a DOA.

Thank-you for any advice

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

I'm asking because I heard from somewhere that when something like this happens, the best course of action is to replace all hardware, otherwise you could be using unstable components

If we all subscribed to that theory, then all the manufacturers would be making tons of money.

It is true though that if a component gets fried (smoked) that all other components are suspect and could be unstable. A component going bad doesn't necessarily take out other components.
More of a concern would be a direct short, visible signs of a smoked component, or smoke itself.

The problem you are describing could be a power supply, switch, main board, etc.
Do you need help identifying the issue?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
That's a tough question that without specifics, really cannot be answered except in general terms. While it is true a failure in one device can damage other devices attached, it is not that common. I see that mostly when damage is done by electrical storms or power supply failure - which I would test for first. When the motherboard takes a hit, I worry most about components susceptible to damage most by abuse - that would be the RAM and CPU. I don't think I would be too concerned about a PCI adapter at this time.

Are there any beeps?

I agree that Newegg is one of the better sites - what is the other site you were concern with? When I run into a shopping site I am unfamiliar with, I look it up on ResellerRatings.com.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Tigerdirect is the one I buy all my parts from and have for several years with no problems. Thier customer support and return policy has been excellent.

Newegg as Digerati suggests is very good also although i have never bought anything from them.

LTengu

LTengu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well, thank-you for your responses, I decided to use the old card, and have yet to experience any problems. (except for my graphics card)

And if you were wondering how I knew it was the processor. It was because every time I would go over a certain usage percentage or or when the system tried to access the L2 cache Vista would come up with a screen similar to the BSOD, the display would look corrupted, then automatically restart, and of course Kubuntu would just freeze. (I was using Kubuntu while downloading.) I've replaced the MoBo and memory yet the system still seemed unstable, but usable as long as I didn't over exert it. (I was saving up for the Core2 Duo E8400) And I checked the PSU both times (then and now) with my multimeter without a load and with my HDD attached to the PSU (which does have a 3.3v pin in the SATA connector unlike some) and my notebook (had to solder together a SATA cable lol)

Edited by LTengu, 09 July 2009 - 05:23 AM.