Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dns question

• Please log in to reply

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
here is the setup -

1 x adsl gateway
1 x wireless xp
1 x wired mandriva linux (with xp and w2k - installed seperatly)
1 x wireless mandriva laptop

here is the dns setup -

gateway set to 212.74.112.66 and 212.74.112.67 (tiscali dns)
wireless xp set to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 (open dns)
mandriva is auto-detect with xp set to tiscali dns and w2k set to open dns
laptop is auto on wired and open dns on wireless,

here is the question -

what dns am i using ?

if i check on the wireless xp at the open dns website it tells me i am using open dns, yet my mandriva tells me i am using tiscali dns - buuut, if i boot into w2k and check, then it tells me i am using open dns,
if i check on the laptop it tells me i am using tiscali dns when wired but open dns when wireless - and its connected to the same gateway,

when i change the gateway to open dns then everything is using open dns apart from the wired xp,

but if i change another of the computers/operating systems to tiscali dns then i am using tiscali dns on those particular operating systems only,

(i have tried lots of variations on this)

i always thought that its the gateway thats connected to the internet and the settings in the gateway take precedence over the operating system,

anyone have any ideas about this ?

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts

i always thought that its the gateway thats connected to the internet and the settings in the gateway take precedence over the operating system,

It's the other way around. Your network settings in the OS are the first ones that are used. Settings hard coded to the network adapter supersede the settings in the gateway.

hawklord

hawklord

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
thanks, i'll do some more messing on this so i can understand a little more