Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bios controlling my battery? What to do?

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmmm strange. Ok lets try a different way.

Please download Winaudit. Once downloaded then follow these steps to generate a HTML report and attach it to your next reply. The report will most likely be to big to attach so I will include instructions on how to compress the file by zipping it.

• Double click on the Winaudit.exe file
• Next you will see a window like the one in Figure 1 below that says, To Audit Your Computer Click Here. Click Here
• When the program is done auditing your computer you will get a new screen like the one in Figure 2 below.
• Click on the Blue Save button and make sure it is saved as HTML and save to your Desktop for easy reference in the next steps.
• Now you will need to compress the file using the windows built in zip program.
• Right click on the saved file on your desktop and then scroll down to Send To
• Click on Compressed(zipped) Folder and use the Default settings
• Save the file to the Desktop

In your next reply please attach the new Zip Folder with the HTML file you just made.

Advertisements

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Must sign off for tonight - will catch up tommorow. Thanks again for your continuing help.

Plutox.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem. I believe I have found the bios information so I will do some research and look for the MOBO and see if there is a bios flash available.

BIOS: Insyde Software Corp. M1.13 03/06/2006

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Just caught your post. I'll get back tomorrow.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Reason for Edit: Double Post

Edited by rshaffer61, 09 July 2009 - 07:14 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK thank you and I'll continue to monitor this topic.
I did find Medion's website in the UK
I am supplying link Here

I need to get a number from you to continue. No hurry as I can do this overnight.

The identification number is placed at the bottom of your notebook. Please turn over your notebook and you will find either a product number (MD xxxx) or an alphanumeric product key

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Sorry, I don't know where we are going here. In my first post I said that Medion does give a link to address this problem with their caveats.

If you are suggesting that I go thru Medion that's OK but I was seeking perhaps an alternative view on how to address this problem without compromising my computer.
Please advise.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

it's about 7 months old (same problem on another 3 year old Medion laptop - both problems happened at about the same time - what can this imply I wonder?)

Being 7 months old and a known issue I would be leary of doing anything as the system should still be under warranty. As you say they do not cover it. That being the case if you do a bios flash and it renders the system useless you will have to buy a new system.
First step I suggest is backing up your data. If you want to pursue the bios flashing then this is a must. You will not be able to do this if something goes wrong with the flash.

Since Medion is offering no support for their laptop then the decision is yours to do but I must warn you that it is against GTG TOU for us to advise you to do anything that would void your warranty.
I advise you to go to Medion and complain as they know it's a issue and if they know they should be covering the problem. If not then they are selling a defective product to their customers.

Edited by rshaffer61, 09 July 2009 - 07:25 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i think it's probably telling that i've never heard of medion....since they're support structure is obviously flawed.... how can they offer an update to a system on their website but NOT take responsibility for it's use?....that sounds pretty shady to me

as previously stated...we can't suggest you do something that voids your warranty...but....if the device is under warranty...and it's not working...then it's THEY'RE responsibility for fixing it...

i suggest you get on support again and describe the root issue without talking about the bios update that you know will fix it....and request that they RMA the laptop....back up all your data and send the thing back for them to fix it....if they don't....i'd talk to a lawyer

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Yes, thanks for that advice - I'll get back to Medion but before I do ....

Could you explain how this problem could have arisen? What could have happened to cause this? Can it be laid at the door of Medion? The connection between BIOS and battery seems to me baffling.
Have you ever heard of such a case?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The backing up data is very important. Every computer shop I know of does not take responsibility for your data and they usually will inform you of this from the start.
I always advise everyone before taking a system to a shop to do this as if they determine that a format is in order they will do this without regards to your files.
As dsenette has pointed out you should put the liability in Medion's court without mentioning the bios issue.
Thank you dsenette for the clarification on this issue.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Could you explain how this problem could have arisen? What could have happened to cause this? Can it be laid at the door of Medion? The connection between BIOS and battery seems to me baffling.

happens all the time....BIOS is software....and software is written by people...they make mistakes and can't plan for all possibilities

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Yes, thanks for that advice - I'll get back to Medion but before I do ....

This is obviously a flaw in their systems
I have never run across this before but if I were to guess I would say their bios is corrupted in some way. I say this because of your conversation with them where they admit to the issue and yet do not take responsibility for it.
Without knowing if this is a isolated issue with just that model or it's a wide spread issue with their laptops I cannot say if they are a good laptop or not.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I wish to thank rshaffer61 for taking the time to help out with my problem - much appreciated. The CPU-Z is interesting too.

As there is a BIOS malfunction it is strange that it only appeared much later after use, months and even years in the two cases - it appeared out of the blue.

If an expert appears on my horizon I'll see if he(she)will do the deed.

Regards, Plutox

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)