Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

no sound in windows xp pro

• Please log in to reply

silkysmooth

silkysmooth

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I really am not very good at this, let me explain. my system got a trogan and my son used a disk wipe to take off my os. he then reinstalled windows xp pro and when we tried to use sound there is nothing, when we check the volume thing, it says there is no active mixer devices? we tried going to dell and downloading drivers but it did not help ( I am thinking because my system is not reconizing the mixer devices) My oldest had this problem before and was able to fix it, however I am unable to contact him at this time and not sure when he will be home again :) so any ideas on how to fix this would be appreciated.
Thank you for your time

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi silkysmooth...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)
what is the make and model of your computer...
do you have a sound card installed...look on the back of the computer...is the speakers plugged in up high on the main motherboard panel or lower down in the case in a PCI slot..

Edited by happyrock, 08 July 2009 - 09:36 AM.

silkysmooth

silkysmooth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hi thanks for responding, my computer is a dell dimesion 2400 and speakers are plugged in up high, it had sound before my son used the wipe disk not sure what it did :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here...enter your service tag number...get your chipset driver and install it first...
reboot...
I highly recommend that once your at the site you grab all the drivers for your computer...download and burn them to a cd...just in case somewhere down the road you need to reinstall a driver you will have any you may need...
no joy...
install the audio driver and reboot

Edited by happyrock, 09 July 2009 - 07:29 AM.

silkysmooth

silkysmooth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thank you very much.. woohoo I have sound again :) Sorry I dont know a lot about computers but you have been a great help. Again Thank you so much

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)