Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can bolt of lightning damage network card?

• Please log in to reply

JeffM

JeffM

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi, I'm trying to help my friend with a computer problem.

Before a bad storm, he unplugged his desktop computer totally, and after the storm had passed he plugged it back in. Everything seemed normal until he tried to get online. He kept getting the infamous "The page cannot be displayed" error.

During troubleshooting he found out that the line for the internet is still fine because he can get online with his laptop.

So I'm just wondering if maybe lightning damaged his network card? Can this happen? The ISP checked and everything looks ok on their end, and this seems to make sense since, as I said above, he can get online using the same line, as long as it's with his laptop.

Any recommendations of where to go from here?

Should I have him go into "Device Manager" to see if there's any yellow exclamation points, which would indicate a problem?

That's about all I know how to do.

Thanks so much for any replies.

Jeff

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
How does this computer connect - via a router? Try another port.

JeffM

JeffM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
No, there's no router.

JeffM

JeffM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Forgot to say: He has EMBARK for his ISP. It's DSL, I believe.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
So he just moves the cable over to the other machine when he needs to connect? And this method worked fine before the storm? I just wonder if his IP assignment is off - depending on how they are assigned.

Do the network activity lights flicker on the modem? Back of the PC?

Were there any errors shown in Device Manager?

JeffM

JeffM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

So he just moves the cable over to the other machine when he needs to connect? And this method worked fine before the storm? I just wonder if his IP assignment is off - depending on how they are assigned.

Yes and yes. How do you check IP assignments? I don't know if he gets a new IP whenever he boots up or not. I can ask him.

Do the network activity lights flicker on the modem? Back of the PC?

This I'll have to check and get back to you. Unfortunately, he's blind in one eye and can't see that well out of the other, so I may just have to go out to his house on Friday afternoon to see for myself. I thought maybe I could help him resolve his problem over the phone, but maybe not.

Were there any errors shown in Device Manager?

Again, this is something I'll have to check out. I'll get back to you. Also, his dad works for a telecommunications company and couldn't figure out the problem.

I'm not ruling out malware at this time either, since last time I was over (months ago, before he had problems with internet connectivity), I ran Malwarebytes and MBAM found more than 300 bad things to remove. No malicious rootkits or anything but still a lot of junk that didn't need to be on the machine. I did a scan with RootRepeal and GMER last time, to check for hidden objects, but they came up clean, at least back then.

Thanks a lot for your fast replies. I'll be back in touch soon. In the meantime, if anyone can think of anything else I can check, please let me know.

Jeff

Edited by JeffM, 08 July 2009 - 12:11 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
My suggestion is to go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
Once that is done and if he is still having problems thne post in the malware forum and follow the techs instructions from there.

To do all of the abov you may have to download and burn all the tools needd and run them on his system and then report back to the malware forum with the results. +

JeffM

JeffM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

My suggestion is to go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
Once that is done and if he is still having problems thne post in the malware forum and follow the techs instructions from there.

To do all of the abov you may have to download and burn all the tools needd and run them on his system and then report back to the malware forum with the results. +

OK, thanks, yes I was planning on taking OTListIt, OTScanIt, OTMoveIt (etc.), Rooter, RootRepeal, Dr. Web, Combofix, etc. on a flash drive, since he doesn't have an internet connection, unless he uses his laptop.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please let us know how it goes with Digerati's suggestion also.
He is usually right on the money with his suggestions.

Edited by rshaffer61, 08 July 2009 - 07:43 PM.

JeffM

JeffM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
OK, thanks guys. Will report back tomorrow afternoon/evening most likely, early next week at the latest. Just depends on our schedules.

I also am going to have him check to see if the problem happens BOTH in Internet Explorer and Firefox. I believe he's only tried to get online using Firefox.

Of course, if there's no blinking green light in the back of the PC, where the network cable plugs in, then chances are something internally went bad or malware is compromising his connection. If the problem is malware, would the green light on the back of the PC still likely be blinking? Or hard to say?

Sorry for so many questions. I suppose I should just get over there ASAP and see for myself, but want to be prepared as possible.

Thanks again.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If no blinking green light then I would be inclined to say your network adaptor is shot.
If malware is the problem the network card still would show activity but usually not connect.
As a precaution once you are done with your findings and even if it is the network card I would visit the malware forum just to make sure by following the next steps.

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

JeffM

JeffM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Just got off phone with the person. They said there is no green or yellow light (either solid or blinking) behind the computer, where the network cable plugs in for internet access. Just one solid green light up near the power supply, by the fan.

On his DSL modem all of his lights are solid green. To me, this would indicate a problem as I believe one of the green lights should be blinking.

In Device Manager, under "Network Adapters" he says it shows that all devices are functioning properly.
Please advise where to go next.

Can't thank you enough for the assistance.

Jeff

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I think the fact MBAM found so much, a review by our malware removal experts would be a good idea - just to be safe.

Once that is declared clean, I think I would release the IP address for the computer using ipconfig /release from the command prompt, shutdown and UNPLUG everything - including your modem and wait at least 1 minute. Then power up the modem, then computer and hope it picks up a new IP - this assumes DHCP IP assignments.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Also make sure you unplug/ replug the router as well.
Did you try another port from the router to the computer?
Did you try another cable from router to computer?

JeffM

JeffM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
I will hopefully get an update tomorrow. Sorry for the delay. I was talking with the guy on Friday and he had to leave to go somewhere and never bothered to call back. At that time, I had him run an MBAM scan, but I don't know the results because I haven't talked to him yet. If there's a lot of junk found, I'll post in the malware forum.

I may even have him run GMER or RootRepeal just to make sure there's nothing hiding.

I'll give another update Monday. Thanks again.