Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Went I switch the HD in my USB external hard drive case

• Please log in to reply

DragonFrog

DragonFrog

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Went I switch the HD in my USB external hard drive case some appear and some do not, WHY?

Use windows XP sp2
I use external case Smart-Drive combo USB2 & 1394 (connect only with my usb cable)
I have 6 HD that I use to switch in it all 2X60 and 3X80 and 1 X120 gig.
3 now do not want to work went I put them in my external case.

Went I switch them in the case is completely disconnect the power and change the hd then restart the the usb drive.fr

Some after I put the power on the case my usb hd appear but some other give me to kind of error.
1) 1-I see Him but can not go explore them
2) 3 HD now went put the power on my external usb HD Case my computer crash and restart.
But for 2 HD I have no problem. they work i see them and can explore their files.

I try changing the HD from master to slave or to DS but same result> ????

Some idea PLEASE

Edited by DragonFrog, 08 July 2009 - 07:56 PM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go.

Prior to changing the hard drives, do to use the "safely remove hardware". Doing so unmounts the drives from the system. If you just turn off power and do not disconnect the USB, you are risking damaging the drive.
Based on your description, this is what I suspect from the info you gave.

Another issue is handling of the drives. If you are not grounding yourself when you handle them, a static shock will also damage the drive.

123runner

DragonFrog

DragonFrog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks