Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is my Dell Inspiron E1505 Dead and Gone

• Please log in to reply

jcarr

jcarr

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron E1505. When I try to boot, I get the Num Lock, Cap Lock, and Scroll Lock lights to come on. After 5-10 seconds they shut down. Nothing else happens. No flashing lights. The Power and Battery lights in the lower right of the screen do not illuminate either. No difference with battery or with AC adapter.

I tried reseating the RAM as suggested by the Admiral below, but nothing changed.

Any suggestions very much appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Anything strange happen before it did this?
Any new software or hardware added prior to issue?
Anything updates done as far as software?
Anything downloaded from internet prior?

The system is at least a 3 year old model so it's possible the system has died.

jcarr

jcarr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the quick reply rshaffer61.

It started about 3-4 weeks ago acting strange. It would boot, then after a couple of minutes the screen would turn blue, and it was gone. Could reboot, but the same thing would happen again.

It has progressed to the stage I described originally.

No new software or updates or internet downloads.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like you may have a MOBO problem.
If that is the case then sadly the reality is replacing one is not worth the cost. It is normally cheaper and more beneficial to replace the system.
You may be able to get the important data off it by removing the HD and putting it in a external enclosure and then copying the data to the new system.
There are several options for connections
USB, Firewire or Esata.
The difference will be what the actual HD is as far as connection.

jcarr

jcarr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Many thanks again rshaffer61.

I was afraid that your answer would be what it is.

I appreciate the suggestions as to ways to save the data on my hard drive.

I might not buy a Dell this time!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would suggest you take it to a shop but I know from working in them that they will not guarantee the data at all. If they manage to get the system backup and running (highly doubtful at this point) they probably would suggest and reinstall of OS. That would mean a format and reinstall which means all data lost.
Therefor I recommend what I mentioned before.
Buy a new laptop and when you are ready we can assist you with finding and then backing up or copying your data to new system.
I see you are in the same time zone as I am so I suggest using a online store like Newegg or Tigerdirect for the enclosure and\or the laptop also. Both are very good and have great ratings HERE that you can check.

tman2009

tman2009

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Edited by tman2009, 11 July 2009 - 07:16 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: tman2009

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

Edited by rshaffer61, 10 July 2009 - 08:56 PM.