Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Widgets/Gadgets/Wing dang doodles.

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I'm still on windows XP. I will probably be making the move to 7 come october, but I've been looking for something to add a few extra features to my desktop.

I've tried various things. Google gadgets, Yahoo widgets, Samurize, Rainmeter, Stardock Fences for icon organization, a few program dock launcher thingers.

What I want out of this is a todo list, either a launcher or an icon organizer, and something to control my music player with. I use Media Monkey. I'd like it to be easily hidden and brought back too, as I'm a fan of seeing my wallpaper. Those are the main areas I want covered. Rainmeter came the closest to what I wanted, but for some reason it breaks VLC when I play video, and the others just took up too many resources.

So is there some nice, clean little program who can do some if not all of these things that I may have missed, or did I already try them all and what I'm looking for just doesn't really exist?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I don't use any of them. I've never seen the point in having lots of widgets floating about on the deskop on the understanding what most people do is fire a computer up and then either open a game, a web browser or a word processor which fills the entire screen. Said widgets only get seen for about 15 seconds before they get covered up by something else. You don't state at your desktop widgets, you might stare at the wallpaper if its content is worth staring at but you don't stare at the widgets.

But that's just me.